Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2A/1 magazine modification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2A/1 magazine modification
    Posted: February 14 2021 at 2:59pm
  I have been toying with the idea of spot welding a tab onto the 2A1 magazine to assist empty case extraction when used in a No4Mk1 that has been converted to 7.62x51mm. I used my L42 magazine as reference while doing the modification to the Ishapore magazine. The fabrication is done. It does exactly as it should and throws the empty cases away from the rifle no different then the original 303 setup. I need to finish the touch up rebluing but I will get to that later. It is surprisingly a very quick and straightforward process...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 6:14am
After doing this, I started wondering why this was not done instead, as opposed to those conversions that had a hole drilled into the side of the reciever ahead of the extractor screw to aid in case extraction. Alot easier to accomplish and no extra holes in the action body...
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 6:47am
Thanks for posting this Goosic.  Does that rear lip on the mag need to be reformed so the magazine will seat properly into the receiver? 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 7:47am
Not by very much. Just a little tweaking with some small plyers and one good smack on the bottom of the magazine with a rubber mallet when seating it for the first time into the reciever. 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 9:53am
Do you think silver solder would hold it?  I don’t have a way to spot weld it to the mag.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 9:58am
I would think that soldering it together would work just as well. 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 10:35am
Excellent job!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 11:09am
very resourceful.
double gun
LP1911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LP1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 12:55pm
I am a bit unclear on one thing: isn’t the ejector screw supposed to help with ejection? Is the ejector screw not long enough? 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 1:44pm
This is specific to the No4Mk1 action when converted to 7.62x51mm NATO.  The ejector screw is for assist in a loaded  303B cartridge which is rimmed. The 7.62mm cartridge being rimless requires the added assistance of a device to pop the loaded or spent case from the action that the ejector screw does not allow for. At the start of this thread you will note two magazines. One  is the modified 2A1 and the other is a L42A1 magazine that has the tab built in for ease of ejection. I am not well versed in how the ejection of a spent 7.62mm cartridge is done with an Ishapore 7.62 rifle. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 5:31pm
The odd thing with L-E ejector screws it that they had nothing to do with ejecting fired cases!
Yup. Odd, huh?
That was done by friction against the left side receiver wall.
The only function for the ejector screw was to eject unfired rounds!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
LP1911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LP1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 5:41pm
yeah, just watched Bloke on The Range on YouTube and he said that too. Does 308 work less well through friction because it has no rim? (I guess that area needs to be oil free for maximum friction)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 8:34am
It has a second ejector screw & spring which does sort of eject.
Fell free to oil away though the extractor spring & claw provides plenty of side force if you "work the bolt smartly" (assertively & quickly)
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 9:18pm
that looks to be a great addition to the mag - easy and doable by anyone very proficient in a few simple steps , great example of american ingenuity ....not to dump on any other country in any way BTW
Gatorshooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 5:41pm
Any decent tig welder could put a light tack on that to hold it. If you lived here I’d do it just to help out. I bet for a nice cold brew a welder would file it smooth as well. I’ve seen a few guys tig beer cans together, the newer inverter machines can do wonders. 

I unitized the bbl band on a m1A took longer to roll up the leads than actually welding it. Guy had it prepared and positioned all I had to do was put the welds where he wanted. I did read up on it before I said yes, but it wasn’t difficult. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2021 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Gatorshooter Gatorshooter wrote:

Any decent tig welder could put a light tack on that to hold it. If you lived here I’d do it just to help out. I bet for a nice cold brew a welder would file it smooth as well. I’ve seen a few guys tig beer cans together, the newer inverter machines can do wonders. 

I unitized the bbl band on a m1A took longer to roll up the leads than actually welding it. Guy had it prepared and positioned all I had to do was put the welds where he wanted. I did read up on it before I said yes, but it wasn’t difficult. 
There is actually a little more science involved than just tacking one on Gatorshooter. The metal tab has to be dorm fitted around the magazine where shown. Also, if the tab is too far forward, the spent case will not reliably eject. Too far back and the spent case will fall onto the magazine follower. Too far out and the bolt will strike it in such a way as to not let the tab do its intended job. Too far inwards and the spent case will not even contact the tab. The other additional assist is to modify a 2A1 extractor claw to work in a No4Mk1 bolthead. The original post was for anyone anyone interested in converting their No4Mk1 to fire 7.62x51mm NATO ammunition but cannot afford the $500 - 750 dollar sale prices of a L42A1 magazine or, figure out how to modify the reciever to accept the later ejector spring assembly...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic