Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Ishapore Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member W/Problem ISh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Light686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member W/Problem ISh
    Posted: September 07 2021 at 12:10pm
Brand new member here. Just purchased a Gibbs 1968 Ishapore 308 "jungle Rifle"- Problem i am having is once a round is fired the brass is EXTREMELY difficult to eject. Having already looked for obvious reasons via eyeball only i now believe it may best to buy a go/no go and field headspace gauge set for 7.62x51. The ejected rounds show no obvious signs of bulging or scratch marks from something being on chamber wall and fire forming around. Brand new to the game any help would be greatly appreciated

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 8:51pm
welcome to the group , there are others here with far more knowledge in this area to help that will be along , 

i did have this issue with some ammo in my charnwood conversion years ago , what you have is a commercialy modified sporter that have gained their own place in the enfield collectors world , should be a great rifle once you figure out that issue , have you tried different ammos ? this was made for the military 763x51 originally and not the commercial 308 , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 9:29am
THOROUGHLY clean the chamber, I mean really scrub the heck out of it.
dried, hardened residues can cause this.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 9:50am
I agree with Shamu, that’s the first thing to do.  Use a bronze chamber brush for .308 on a chamber cleaning rod.  Use lots of solvent.  After you think it’s clean, wrap a patch around the brush, soak in solvent and clean again by turning the brush.  Make sure it’s nice and shiny and patches come out clean before you try again.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic