Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.303Brit Ammo @ AIM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabretech2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .303Brit Ammo @ AIM
    Posted: August 06 2007 at 7:19am
No4 MkI*, Savage 1943,
FTR (F) 1954 Mk1/3
No4 Mk2 ROF(F) 5/50
No2A1 RFI 1966
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2007 at 10:16am
Do you know what the bullet is? My Maltby hates the boat-tailed bullets, and the last Igman I used ( 15 yr old stuff) was bt.  The Wolf Gold, I believe, is made by Igman, but has a flat based bullet.

Ed 
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 8:19am
I suspect the boat-tail bullets might shoot better in barrels with a smaller groove diameter.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 10:28am
Usually, the 2 groove barrels don't like BT bullets. But, there are several here with 2 grooves that do very well with them. Go figure.
Ed
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 8:20am
I have a M1917 with a 2-groove barrel. It shoots close to minute of angle with cheap bulk 147gr FMJBT bullets that do no better than 6 inch groups in any other .30 cal rifle.
ky_man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2007 at 8:38am
How would these AS303FMJ Igman .303Brit 180grn FMJ conmpare to the S&B 180 grain FMJ I'm shooting now? 

I'm paying $16/box for the S&B, so with this import stuff I could buy near twice as much!
1943 NO. 4 MKI (Malthby)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2007 at 9:51am
Personally. I'd be tempted to buy a couple of boxes & try it through your rifle /s & see how it shoots .

Dave
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 7:05am
I'd be interested in learning what the bore dimensions are with a rifle that shoots well with boat-tail bullets.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Smokey Smokey wrote:

I'd be interested in learning what the bore dimensions are with a rifle that shoots well with boat-tail bullets.

You really need a barrel that is right down in the 311/312 to get sence out of a boat tail in my experiance. I think that the flat base tend to expand that little into the rifleing! I've had some fantastic results using cast bullets over the years with no gas check at lower verlosities.

Dave
ky_man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 1:32pm
Just bought 2 boxes to try
1943 NO. 4 MKI (Malthby)
RamblerReb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblerReb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 7:04am
Heard some things on other fora about pierced primers with this ammo.  I have no personal experience, so take that for what it's worth.
Authority is the aqua regia of golden character.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 7:31am

As you all know each rifle will shoot differently, I have two with consecutive serial numbers they rolled off the manufactures work bench one right after the other. And there is almost 2 grains difference in the loadings using the same projectile, brass, type of powder, etc. So one with multiple firearms must keep an in-depth logbook with accurate records. All my hand-loaded ammunition is clearly marked with powder, case, and primer, date. Also I have given each of my loads a catalog number. That is so I can cross reference which rounds work best and are safe to shoot in which rifles. For example load # 001 works in rifle number #21 and #32. My rifles are also given a catalog number.

If anyone would like me to help set them up a system similar to this let me know

The “Monster”

Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 6:52pm
Generally barrels that have been used extensively with cordite wont shoot a boat tailed bullet well due to the erosion
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic