Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

174 grain PPU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 174 grain PPU
    Posted: April 07 2022 at 1:39pm
I am looking at getting some of PPU’s 174 grain fmjbt bullets. What is their accuracy like?
I know it does depend on the individual rifle and how good the load is but what is the most I can expect from them?
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2022 at 5:26pm
I shoot the 174 gr in my .303 No. 4 Mk 1/2* and the reloads are on par with Greek HXP surplus (which, to me, is the good stuff).

I also use them in my 7.62 x 54Rs and they do better than most of the Chinese and Hungarian surplus (using PPU brass as well). 
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2022 at 5:50pm
I shoot the factory loaded ppu 174 `S, MY No 4 likes them average 3-4" groups at 100meters, my 1915 smle dosn`t like them at all, but it does hit the target with minute of man groupings at 100yrds.
Through my scoped churhill sporter, the groups are a little tighter shooting supported.
Overall they`re ok but not as good as working up a reload for a specific rifle.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
FNQ303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FNQ303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2022 at 7:23pm
Gday all
I use ppu 174 gr almost exclusively thru the no1 mk3 for hunting pigs scrubbers etc and never had a problem dropping the animals unless I've stuffed up. Should probably add thats at reasonable "hunting" distances between 50 and 150 mters🍻
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 5:05am
303 Hunter, I hand loaded aboot 100 of these (Sierra pills, PPU brass and H4895 powder.) Our range is only 100 yards so I'm not sure the boat-tail was needed. They shot well, but for the extra price not much or any better than a 180 gr Sierra flat bottomed bullet. I have a twin to your rifle built by the same fellow, and it HATES 180's!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 9:24am
I've not tried the FMJ's but the 180Gr SPs are every bit as good as the similar Remington offering.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 10:07am
I've compared them to Sierra 174grn .311" BTHP bullets as well as the 174grn .312" BTHP Hornady bullets.
Pretty much all three performed identically out to 200 yards...

303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 12:26pm
Okay, thanks.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Strangely Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

I've compared them to Sierra 174grn .311" BTHP bullets as well as the 174grn .312" BTHP Hornady bullets.
Goosic's on the money! 

Apologies for being almost a year late to this thread but this was a hot topic of conversation yesterday at our weekly clay shoot.

No supplier in the UK currently has Sierra MK's in .311 and PPU have always been seen in the UK as a cheap Eastern European supplier; the assumption being they aren't all that good! 

Because of the shortage of Sierra's I was forced into using some .311 PPU last October for a shoot of two lots of 15 rounds at 500 yards. The upshot was I recorded my best score at that distance with my No.4 SR"b" for some time...special thanks also go to the wind on that day! Smile

Small disclaimer, if I can get SMK's I will still use them as a preference, but PPU are half the price of SMK's in the UK. 
Mick
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Strangely Brown Strangely Brown wrote:

Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Goosic's on the money! 

Apologies for being almost a year late to this thread but this was a hot topic of conversation yesterday at our weekly clay shoot.

No supplier in the UK currently has Sierra MK's in .311 and PPU have always been seen in the UK as a cheap Eastern European supplier; the assumption being they aren't all that good! 

Because of the shortage of Sierra's I was forced into using some .311 PPU last October for a shoot of two lots of 15 rounds at 500 yards. The upshot was I recorded my best score at that distance with my No.4 SR"b" for some time...special thanks also go to the wind on that day! Smile

Small disclaimer, if I can get SMK's I will still use them as a preference, but PPU are half the price of SMK's in the UK. 
I have been using both the 174grn PPU FMJ-BT'S and the Hornady 174grn FMJ-BT's, #3131 with the cannelure that do a perfect imitation of the Mk VIIIz rounds...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 12:17pm
I've never shot "tailor made" PPU bullets but I do use their projectiles and brass for reloading. That being said, the type of shooting I do is at our 100 yard range and white-tail deer hunting. Both PPU 150 and 174gr FMJBT shoot as good as any Sierra or Hornady of similar weights at 100 yards, in my humble opinion. Keep the brass, as it is excellent for reloading!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 1:40pm
PPU bullets are good in all of my .303's.
To be perfectly honest, I don't see much difference between these and my handloads with Sierra Match Kings. 
Probably a better shooter behind the rifle may see more of a difference .
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 2:31pm
I’ve yet to try any PPU bullets.  When I see some available, I’ll try them.  

Agree with all the above, likely do just as well in the LE as the Sierra and Hornady match bullets.  Might see some difference at the mid and long ranges, 600 yds and beyond. But, if they are cheaper than the SMKs and shoot just as well at 200, I’m going to buy them. 

Sapper740 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 4:09am
I've reloaded 174 gr. bullets from four different manufacturers; Sierra, Hornady, PPU, and pulled MkVII.  In order of accuracy: 1) SMK  2) PPU  3) Hornady  4) pulled MkVII  For practical uses such as plinking or Hog hunting you won't notice enough of a difference to matter.  For long range service rifle matches you definitely want the SMK bullets.
Strangely Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Sapper740 Sapper740 wrote:

I've reloaded 174 gr. bullets from four different manufacturers; Sierra, Hornady, PPU, and pulled MkVII.  In order of accuracy: 1) SMK  2) PPU  3) Hornady  4) pulled MkVII  For practical uses such as plinking or Hog hunting you won't notice enough of a difference to matter.  For long range service rifle matches you definitely want the SMK bullets.

Sapper, I concur exactly with, 1) SMK, 2) PPU and regarding Hornady not always available in the UK but I have used them way back and found them ok'ish.

Your last statement is certainly in line with my own thoughts, however I did quite well at 500 yards last year with the PPU which I would not usually use in competition if SMK's were available. 
Mick
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 4:46am
I’ve not found any difference in accuracy between the SMK and Hornady BTHP Match bullet.  Hornady made a few different 174 grain bullets, you want the .312 diameter bullet, not the .3105, I don’t think they make them anymore. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic