Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Info needed on surplus .303 ammo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdgiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Info needed on surplus .303 ammo
    Posted: March 14 2006 at 6:26am

I purchased a box of .303 British Saturday. I would like info regarding the markings on the box. It is in a light cardboard box with a brown paper seal glued vertically around it. the seal is printed in green type with the following info:

CARTRIDGES

.303 INCH

Mk 7

^ (this represents the broad arrow)

C.I.A (P)

P.O.F.

P.A.8

It also has the date 21 JUL 1957 stamped on it as well as symbol that looks like bowling pin with a numeral one beside itinside a 1/2" circle.

There is also "No. 23  1967" stamped into the cardboard.

Any help with this is most appreciated.

Joel

Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 10:51am
 POF = Pakistan Ordnance Factory, Pakistan.  The MK 7 is the standard 174 grn 303 cartridge. I'm not an expert. so maybe someone else will fill us in on the C.I.A. and P.A. 8.  The 57 stamp is probably the manufacture date, and should match the headstamp on the cartridges, the '67 date is probably an inspection date.

All of the surplus ( except the later Greek stuff)  I'm aware of is corrosive, so wash the bore with hot water  after you shoot.

Ed
jdgiii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdgiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 11:35am

Thanks Ed. I'll probably put this up on a shelf since it's a sealed box. I'd prefer to just shoot UMC. Easier cleanup.

JDGIII

Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 12:02pm
The POF stuff doesn't have the best reputation, but I wouldn't shy away from shooting surplus corrosive ammo. I have over a thousand rounds of 8mm corrosive because I got it for 4 or 5 cents a round. I wish I could find 303 for three times that price!

I use standard 303 surplus to check my sights, and see how well handloads compare to the original ammo. The corrosive component is salt, usually caused by the primers. Since alcohol, ammonia, and oil won't dissolve salts, plain old water is what the military has always used, and works fine. I carry a small bottle of windex, and put two or three soaked patches through the barrel while it is still warm. A clean patch after and I'm good to go home, where I clean as normal.
Ed
ledom daor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ledom daor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 2:15am
I got some yesterday that says

Mk7 L.S.A.A  GBF 21 10 44

It fired fine

Can anyone tell me about this stuff paid $3.18 for 32 rounds
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 2:25am
I heard that CIA stood for Century International Arms, I know its not the American firm of the same name as I don't believe they advertise like that.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 6:29am
The MK 7 is the regular 174 grn ammo, GB or GBF is Greenwood & Batley, Leeds,
and I assume the 21 10 44 is the date.  Don't know about the LSAA, does it look like the same script? Maybe an importers mark?
Ed
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 7:19am

GBF is Greenwood & Batley (farnham) Ltd.

GB is Greenwood & Batley Ltd , Leeds

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ledom daor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 8:15am
Sorry the L.S.A.A.   Is really I.S.A.A.  It is the same script.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 11:05am
JDGIII, I just looked at a box of '51 RL headstamped ammo I have, and it also is marked  I.S.A.A. under the broad arrow. Acceptance mark of some time?
Jump in, anyone!
Ed  
N/I\Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N/I\Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 12:59pm
ISAA - Inspector Small Arms Ammunition
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 1:12pm
Thanks, N/I\Z, I knew someone on here would have it.
Ed
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ledom daor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 12:49am
Thank you for the info that is fun to hear all these things
Governments are like Dogs. The bigger they are, the more poo they leave for you to clean up!
TomcatPC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomcatPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 12:11pm
In regards to the Pakistani Ord. Fact. surplus Mk.7 rounds mentioned at the start of this thread...LOL... A few years back I bought two 32 round boxes of POF in Anchorage for around $5 a box. When I fired that ammo...LOL...I guess the best way to describe it is to imagine firing a matchlock from the English Civil War. Every round a hang fire, could hear the striker hit the primer and there was a time lapse...then boom...LOL.

Later, at another gunstore in Anchorage I bought 150 rounds of 1950 headstamped Mk.7 rounds made by F.N. in Belgium, not one hang fire or miss fire, good stuff. And better yet it came on chargers in bandoliers. After I came back to the lower 48 I found some South African made .303" Ball made around 1980 that was also on par with the F.N. made ammunition. I still have a 50 round bandolier that I refuse to burn up until I find more surplus...or at least cheaper commercial ammunition.
Mark
The .303" Cartridge, Helping Englishmen express their emotions since 1888.
esoxhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esoxhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 12:22pm
too much knowledge here
you guys scare me sometimes :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic