Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identify lee enfield.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identify lee enfield.
    Posted: September 16 2008 at 4:41am
hello all :).
I had my 303 lee enfield like 1 week ago.
I just dont know if it is countrefeit or anything as i cant seem to identify from where it been made.

it is a No4, MkI (sporterized a bit, shorter stock, the sight with the ruler say mk3 instaed of mk1, with 10 round magazine.)
under these mark there is some numbers. (2A 564 if i remember well)

Anyway, i checked on the sides, it is write
YI 1944
B M
with some numbers

somewhere else it is write 18,5 tons per?(could not read the rest and i have no idea what it mean)
BNP-303 2-222
and a weird drawing E and under it LG in a kind of ovals and a little thing over it(hard to describe)

I found a pic on internet of one that have this similar YI mark (mine dont have the arrow over the YI or disapeared over time)

Is there anything to check on these weapon when we acquire them? (it will be our only rifle for moose hunt)

Also any trick for get the last ammo to get in the barrel and not to keep stuck in the magazine? I also tryed to remove the front stock(sporter shorter style) i can't seem to get it off of the rifle, i whant to remove it for oil the rifle and for fix it right, it is loose from the front of barrel(very little).

i did shoot it yet, it was working well and accurate.

Thanks for the help :)
Mathieu
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 8:27am
its hard to understand what your trying to tell us.
Is this pic you have posted YOUR rifle...or not?
Are you saying the MAGAZINE is a 10 round capacity..or are saying you have CHARGERS that hold 10?
How did you determine that it was a N04 MkI? Is it stamped somewhere?Does it say "LONGBRANCH" anywhere?
we could use some pics & a better description to give you proper info
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 8:38am
BNP stands for Birmingham Nitro Proof...after 1954.It shud be stamped UNDER the crown.
The only thing I cud think of with the Y1 maybe the unit marking for Yorshire & Lancashire(?) Regt.
In the pic it LOOKS like the British Defence Ministry's marking..but apperas to be upside down.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 9:56am
That crows foot stamp "Stamp located in the top left of picture" is for British ownership
Stnwll2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stnwll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 2:33pm
I bet the YI is actually the Maltby 'M' with the leading side of the M too lightly struck. The one in the picture looks like that to me. So ... M 1944 would be a Maltby made #4 Mk 1. What are the numbers after the 'BM'? Is the first number a '1'(one)?
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
mathd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 10:08pm
hi,

Am sorry not to be clear in my request :S.

I whanted to know, if it is normal that i cant seem to identify from where it been made(ex: long breach, Birmingham Small Arms etc).

I paid the rifle 400$ and trough it could be a kind of cheap chinese replica(if this exist) because of that YI thing and that i cant seem to identify from where it been made :S

I also had some question about the rifle on the topic for more info.
Like what i should check or get checked on that rifle for see if it is in good condition, also asked if there was a way to fix the magazine(last ammo keep stuck in it everyonce) and how to remove a sporterized stock from it as mine is loose a little bit and i whant to fix it and oil the rest of the iron.

Back to the topic.
This isnt pict of my rifle, i found this one on internet(gunbroker) as my camera is broken and i only have cellphone camera currently wich dont take good pic at all and cost $ to send to pc :(. But i still can get some if this help.

I mean the magazine have 10 round capacity(am sorry really bad english, i trough magazine and charger was the same before this morning..)

I determined it was no4 mk1 as it is stamped on the gun, and it dosent say longbranch anywhere, say only, made in england.

I trough the YI was for identify where it been made.(ie longbranch etc) and i could not find what it was anywhere.

The number after the B M indeed start by 1.
i can give the complete number, if you guy say there is no problem to post that publicly.(sorry if this silly to ask, ijust dont know)

So it would probably is a Maltby made #4 Mk 1?

Thanks ALOT for the reply :)
Mathieu
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 11:02pm
Things to check. Does the serial number on the rear of the bolt handle match the serial number on the left hand side of the rifles buttsocket? If so then it is the original bolt. I would have the headspace checked.
With regards to the last round hanging up in the magazine, does the bolt pass over the rim of the cartridge or does the front of the cartridge tip up and hit the top of the rear barrel face?
303 2.222 is simply the 303 cartridge 2.22 inches long.
Not sure of the Y1 but I dont believe it is a mis struck M. I agree it is probably a Maltby but I am not sure.
mathd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 11:31pm
heyhey :)
thanks for the info. i will check on this tonight and may get the gun to check to a friend gunsmith(or there anyway to make it home?).

For the last round on the magazine.
When there is one cartridge left on the magazine and i try to load it in the barrel with the bolt.
The front of the cartridge hit the bottom of the rear barrel face and the bolt dont go front(hit the rim of the cartridge), i need to push the bolt back and get the last cartridge out of the magazine for load it into the rifle form top.

For the YI i think it is the M, i jsut see pict on the forum here of one that buy one at classic army Topic here we can see the M is pretty what my YI is with the leading side of the M too lightly struck.

Thanks for the time :)
Mathieu
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 9:16am
I would say that the front right hand feed lip needs bending out SLIGHTLY to allow the front of the last round to come up a bit more.
Use long nose pliers and as I said bend very slightly. If you bend it out too much it will allow the nose of the round to raise up too much.
If you bend them back and forth too much they will break off and then the mag is no good.

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 5:44pm
Bonjour Mathieu..In ur post you said:"sorry if this is silly to ask,I just don't know".
On THIS forum..there isnt a "SILLY" question.If you don't know-how else will you find out if you don't ask? You will find that there is an enormous amount of experience & information here.Its all FREE,& its shared in good faith.Dont be afraid to ask - I'll gaurantee SOMEONE here will ALWAYS have the answere for you.
Hoadie
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2008 at 8:02am
its a maltby i beleive

they used 5 digit numbers - 10000-19999 , prefix AA thru BZ  ,  AH is correct for a 43

BSA - shirley was 4 digit , AA-AV , and 5 digit 30000-39999 single letters only , 40000-79999 A only ,

faz was 5 digit 20000-29999 , single letters and HA-PF ,

longbranch used 0L thru 95L ,

savage used 0C thru 99C

mathd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2008 at 9:50am
Thanks for all this info.
i take the rifle out this wee-end for practicing, i will fix the magazine before :).

It is good to have great forums like this for help, i use to do anything at home myself, rifle is something new that am learning about.

Thanks for all the info on the numbers, mine is 5 digit and start by 1 this answer all my questions :D
Mathieu
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic