Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Savage smle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragonhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage smle
    Posted: 23 September 2008 at 4:32pm
G`day all ,

October `07 I bought a Savage MK4 . I really can`t tell that it had ever been shot untill I did . 20 rounds at the range and one shot in the neck of a 8 point at 125 yards .

I payed $300 . 00 for it in a army surplus stor in Ocala , Florida . Every thing seems to be in perfect shape other than the bolt being a little stif when putting a round in the chamber .

Did I do ok price wise ?

I would also like info on the Gibbs co. changing smle rifles into 45/70 govt.
Always use enough gun .
Sponsored Links

Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2008 at 5:47pm

If it is in excellent condition that is not to bad. Anymore would have been too much. Can you post pictures?

CM
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 4:58am
Without wanting to sound pedantic, the No4 is not an SMLE.
The No1 is an SMLE.
Both are Lee Enfields though.
Simple eh?
Some purists would crucify you for calling the No4 an SMLE. Not on this forum though.
oldbikewrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbikewrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by dragonhunter dragonhunter wrote:

G`day all ,

October `07 I bought a Savage MK4 . I really can`t tell that it had ever been shot untill I did . 20 rounds at the range and one shot in the neck of a 8 point at 125 yards .

I payed $300 . 00 for it in a army surplus stor in Ocala , Florida . Every thing seems to be in perfect shape other than the bolt being a little stif when putting a round in the chamber .

Did I do ok price wise ?

I would also like info on the Gibbs co. changing smle rifles into 45/70 govt.

Howdy dragonhunter.
 Gibbs was bought out by Navy Arms along with all of their stock, parts and pieces a few years ago.
I do have, and love shooting a Gibbs that was converted into a 45/70 built on a Lithgow (No1 MkIII) action.
Every so often one will come up at gunbroker listed as a Gibbs or looking at the Navy Arms listings. 
Get ahold of Richard at www.specialintrestarms.com. He does 45/70 conversions and does other conversions too.
Love your neighbor as yourself.'...Mark12:31
He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke22:36
dragonhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragonhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 4:36pm
thanks for the info on the gibbs . will it handle garrett 45/70 ammo , it`s really high pressure stuff . Check them out at Garrett.com
Always use enough gun .
oldbikewrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbikewrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2008 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by dragonhunter dragonhunter wrote:

thanks for the info on the gibbs . will it handle garrett 45/70 ammo , it`s really high pressure stuff . Check them out at Garrett.com

Not sure. But this I know; the .303 British has a chamber pressure of 49,000 PSI and the 45-70 Government has a chamber pressure of 28,000 PSI. Regardless of what the caliber is I would make sure that 49,000 PSI be the max using a Lee Enfield action/receiver.
Love your neighbor as yourself.'...Mark12:31
He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke22:36
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 3:19am
I looked up the Garrett web site & was supprized to see they have really done their home work & kept their pressures down to a point where they are safe to shoot even in trap doors ,so they wouldn't be a problem even out of a Mk111 action !

Dave
Shamu View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 5:07am
You may want to check the "tabs" at the front of the magazine.
It could be that the bullet tips are hitting the bottom of the feed ramp, causing the stiffness you describe when chambering a round.

A little, gentle bending here may make a big difference to the chambering.

Take a look at where the tips strike the ramp (use dummy rounds & take safety precautions here) You should not need to fully chamber to test, just enough to see the tip & ramp allignment.
PitBull, spawn of Rottie!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic