Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Khyber Pass #5 showing up *UPDATE*

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Khyber Pass #5 showing up *UPDATE*
    Posted: March 30 2010 at 6:06am
Quick heads up from a thread on another forum.
TGI was selling some Khyber Pass fake #5 "Jungle Carbines" recently. Nothing against TGI who were advertising them as exactly what they were fakes & wall hangers only.

Unfortunately there has been at least one incidence of a person re-selling these as Gen-u-wine shootable rifles & he has even gotten a bit short with people who have questioned his sale.Ouch
The sales of several have now been pulled from the auction site but Buyer Beware, not just now, but in future as these will undoubtedly pop up again somewhere.
They are TGI import stamped, but this doesn't mean that ALL TGI #5s are fakes, just this particular lot.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 12:10pm
Shamu, there was a guy selling long Lees on gunbroker 2 yrs ago, same M.O., got real huffy and denfensive if anyone questioned the Khyber origination.

Ed 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 10:17pm
This guy has a "story" about how they aren't his, but have been "checked out as O.K." & so on.
The funny thing is that the same seller has several of them.
One I could understand, as a lack of knowledge, but who buys 5 or 6 not knowing what they are then sells them almost immediately on a gun auction site?
I smell fish, rotten fish.Dead
This is enhanced by the fact that after a letter-writing campaign the auctions were all ended prematurely. (Which is why I posted here as I'll bet $5.00 those same rifles will pop up on a specialty site like this looking for a quick sale before he's outed.)Ouch

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2010 at 1:37am
UPDATE:
As thought the same rifles are popping up on several different small websites, none here yet thank goodness.
The "seller" has multiple different user names, depending on the site he's using, but the address is always in the North West, mainly Oregon.

This pretty much ends any thought that this guy is misinformed or an innocent dupe. He is knowingly selling wall hanging forgeries as genuine & safe.NukeCensored

Here are links to some of the re-sales posts so you can eliminate the "great deals" before you get stung.
He is killing listings as they are reported & then re-listing somewhere else now. This, to me at least removes the last possibility he is anything other than a scammer.
===============================================

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewUserFeedback.aspx?User=1488570

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26912

http://www.oregongearlist.com/viewlisting.php?view=1686

http://www.outdoorstrader.com/viewad.asp?id=50040986478100996

http://classifieds.oregonlive.com/?orig_cat=&orig_prop=oregonlive.com&temp_type=browse&category=results&tp=ME_olive&property=oregonlive.com&classification=classifieds&allclassifieds=yes&keywords=503-487-7768

LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2010 at 9:51am
Looks like the rear sight pivot holes are set far higher than normal, leaving the ladder tilted down at an angle when lowered.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2010 at 10:30am
Darn I'm sorry I missed the rare No 1 Mk 5 conversion! Don't see many of those!

Ed
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2010 at 2:49pm
According to Laidler a number of No.5 Carbines were taken apart and rebuilt using No.4 action bodies.
There were many No.5 Carbines rebuilt in India using non standard replacement parts as well.

The .22 Trainer versions of the No.5 included one built on a No.1 receiver, other wise fitted out as a No.5 with a rear peep sight and ladder. Theres a good photo of one of these at the NRA UK site.

If I had more room on my walls I wouldn't mind picking up a Kyber Pass copy of an Enfield just as an example of primitive gunmaking methods.
I wouldn't want to risk shooting one, though some were apparently not that poorly made.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2010 at 10:35pm
"though some were apparently not that poorly made."
Yeah, but it's a crap shoot which ones were "not that poorly made" & I don't want to find out the hard way.Pinch
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 1:19am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Yeah, but it's a crap shoot which ones were "not that poorly made" & I don't want to find out the hard way.Pinch
True enough.
I look on these copies in much the same light as the Confederate made copies of the Colt Revolvers.
Some of those were of substandard material as well, though if a proper bronze alloy was used in the casting they were strong enough for the loads used. Those made with commercial brass with too much zinc didn't hold up well at all. The Dance Brother Colt copies on the other hand were milled from high quality steel and in many ways a better pistol than the originals.

Another Civil War era copy was the Cook Brothers carbine. It showed some very sharp thinking in getting around the lack of proper barrel steel. The iron barrel of this carbine was made from a bar twisted to orient the grain of the metal concentric to the bore, so no lengthwise cracking could form.

Some Afghan and Paki guns have been made from slabs of steel cut from a salvaged WW1 era Warship in Turkey. This is an excellent steel, better than the steel most of the original guns were constructed from.

If for any reason I were to visit Pakistan, and thats highly unlikely, I might commision a few rifles and pistols from skilled gunsmiths of good reputation.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 10:20am
always buy the rifle - not the story ,

and when seeking out a specific rifle , particularly one that might command a decent price , do the research or buy from a reputable source ,

too many out there that will sell you your own granny if you are gullible enough , and always seeking out that low buck can get you exactly what you paid for .........

a decent rifle is worth a decent price , and will pay back in spades to the knowing buyer ,
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 11:57am
I once was at a Militaria show where several dealers were selling our kinda guns.  I remember hearing one dealer commenting to another "The thing about this show is the everyone who comes in here knows exactly what everything is worth"
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 4:31pm
Is there any way the guy can be reported to trading standards ?? The tobacco and firearms people or even the police. The guns should be confiscated before somebody gets maimed or even worse killed.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 10:01pm
Supposedly several other forums where he started pulling these stunts are figuring out what exactly to do.

finloq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finloq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2010 at 5:29am
TGI have a few up on gunbroker right now that appear to be Khyber Pass copies.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
finloq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finloq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 5:58am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

TGI has another batch up.
If you get the ones made by Srinivas on the hill over there, you will get a quality firearm.  On the other hand, if you get one made by Srinivas from that hill, over there, watch out!
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 8:47am
I had an offer some time ago for some No4 Khyber pass rifles ....The company that was selling them advertised them as such ...Not even for parts ..Wall hangers only ....Now Im seeing the same types with the fireing pin welded and other such things done to render them un-fireable 
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic