Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No 4 Mk1 front sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olanchobro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No 4 Mk1 front sight
    Posted: August 24 2010 at 6:43pm
Hello all, I have a No 4 Mk1 that I got awhile ago and when I went to shoot it, I noticed that the front site had moved far over to the left.  I fiddled with it and found that it slides easily and is not anchored solid at all.  How to fix this.  I thought of trying to sight it in and then lock tite it but that sounds like it would not work.  Any thoughts on how to stake the site so that it wont move?  After sighting it in of course.  Thx
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 8:05pm
Some No 4  frontsights are secured with a screw with a reverse slotted head. It willl have a blade standing proud.  It can be tightened (or loosened) with a special screwdriver that has a  groove cut in th eend.  Numrich sell a  tool with that tip on it or you can make one using an old screwdriver and a dremel.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 9:08pm
If there is no securing screw the sight base should have a "cut" in it, visible from below if you remove the blade.What you can do is to slightly widen the slot's width with a screwdriver & hammer.

Another possibility is that you have the type of blade for the locking screw in a body without a locking screw,  these don't have a slot as the screw does the locking. If that's the case you'll need to replace the blade with the correct type, making sure to get the same height.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 10:00pm
If it is the type without the locking screw, you can peen the bottom of the dovetail with a centrepunch, replace the blade and it will be tight.
you dont need a lot of heavy peening, a few dimples and try it until its tight.
sabretech2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabretech2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 12:51pm
A bit of silicone caulking in the dovetail just before you shoot will allow you to set the proper windage. It'll take about 12 hours for it to cure completely, but at least then you'll know where the front sight blade is supposed to be.
No4 MkI*, Savage 1943,
FTR (F) 1954 Mk1/3
No4 Mk2 ROF(F) 5/50
No2A1 RFI 1966
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 4:48pm
Securing the foresight with an adhesive is ok if you dont want to change your load.
You really need to repair it so that you can adjust the sight if you change loads.
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 5:03am
Originally posted by Lithgow Lithgow wrote:

Securing the foresight with an adhesive is ok if you dont want to change your load.
You really need to repair it so that you can adjust the sight if you change loads.

I have the same problem with my No4 Mk1, FAZ, 1948.  The front sight does not have a lock screw and I can move it with my fingers.

When you wrote "really need to repair", did you mean simply peening the dovetail so the sight fits tightly?  Or something more involved, perhaps?

When peening, I leave the front sight in, no?

Cheers

Kevin
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 5:24am
Remove the sight blade from the block and using a centre punch, put a couple of light dimples in the bottom of the dovetail, just enough to lightly raise some metal around the dimples.
then it is simply a matter of tapping the blade back into place.
Make sure you support the bottom of the barrel well when doing this, they are not hard to bend.
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Lithgow Lithgow wrote:

Remove the sight blade from the block and using a centre punch, put a couple of light dimples in the bottom of the dovetail, just enough to lightly raise some metal around the dimples.
then it is simply a matter of tapping the blade back into place.
Make sure you support the bottom of the barrel well when doing this, they are not hard to bend.

Makes perfect sense!  Thanks so much.  An easy fix. 

Kevin
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 8:56am
Excellent post lithgow very simple and effective
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic