Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7.62 Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buggadifino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7.62 Enfield
    Posted: April 19 2011 at 2:58am
Hello chaps and greetings from the UK,
I am new here and by way of introduction here is my 7.62mm NATO Lee-Enfield.  The chap who owned it previously informs me the conversion was done by Fultons of Bisley (a UK gunsmiths/shop easily found on Google).

I put on the ATI stock myself and it seems to work very well.

Since this photo was taken the front sight has gone to make way for a suppressor (the UK is somewhat more crowded than other parts and a suppressor is easier on the neighbours) and I have fitted an IOR 2.5 - 10 x 42 scope using a Fultons no-gunsmithing mount.  Pictures to follow shortly.  Accuracy is fine, generally with sub-inch groups with match ammo rising to inch/inch-and-a-half with decent hunting ammo.

Regards

Andy
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2011 at 9:17am
Welcome! What a nice rifle, want to see it with the scope! I'm always amazed at the accuracy the Fulton rifles are capable of producing.

Ed
Buggadifino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buggadifino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 1:16am
As requested my Enfield as it is now.  Apologies if the photo comes out too large I have been having a little trouble with getting a decent size image uploaded.  As you can see the scope is mounted a little too high; low mounts will help but having seen RichardSIA's scope mount I am keen to get one of those fitted.  Richard if you read this can you ship to the UK? Thanks.

Regards,

Andy

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 5:21am
Nice rig!
Did you get a chance to try the original Fulton's regulated stock & compare with the ATI?
I'm wondering exactly how much difference to accuracy the synthetic versus fitted wood stocks actually make.

Was that mount shortened at the front?
I ask because my Fulton's mount is a good 1 1/2" inches longer, it reaches to the front of the receiver ring.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 9:19pm
nice rifle , whats that can for on the muzzle where the front sight used to be ? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buggadifino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 5:59am
Shamu,
Accuracy did not change when I fitted the ATI stock, but I did spend a lot of time ensuring it was not impacting the barrel before testing. That stock takes a lot of patience to file down. Then I bought a Dremel!
I do not know if the mount was shortened, I bought the rifle and mount together, and to be honest I have not seen another Fultons mount to compare it.

A Square 10,

The can is an ASE Ultra Suppressor.  The UK is a fairly crowded island and a suppressor saves scaring the taxpayers too much.  http://aseutra.fi/english/index.html

At some point in the future I will be having a front sight refitted.  One of the things I like about the Enfield action is the sophisticated iron sights as standard.

Thanks, all, for the interest.

Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 7:07am
Buggadifino, here on the "other side of the pond" suppressors are severely restricted. Basically they're illegal unless you want to pay fees, hundreds in taxes, get special government permits, be investigated by the FBI etc. And after all that you are severely restricted in where you can use it.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 7:18am
Just goes to show You The Logic that goes into Gun Control ....   I own a PPSH43C and cant use the Fold out butt ...But since I have an extended barrel on the Sterling I can have a useful folding Butt .... But if I was to get the permit You are talking about for My PPSH I can use the Butt stock on it ...Now If I was to pay that type of Money I would just go ahead and get a Full Auto ....

As for the Silencers and suppressors ....It is even Illegal here to have one that LOOKS Like a Silencer or Suppressor ....
LOL!!!  My neighbors would love it if I had all Mine suppressed !!!   So if I could, I wouldnt just because I believe they should know that this is My property and we are out in the country and I LOVE to SHOOT!!!!  
Hell if they cant hear Me , then How is Mr. Russel going to know when He can come by and browse the Gun Shop and visit with Me ??????
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 7:49am
I have always found it interesting that suppressors are legal and even encouraged in some countries, and they would certainly make sense at a crowded range, but here in the PRK you would be hauled off for weapons violations!

Ed
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 7:59am
I hear Ya Ed !!!   Some of our Laws dont make sense But then Look at our UK Brethren ....  They can own over a certain amount of ammo and cant buy it unless it is on their ticket ...so in some ways I think We do have it a little better ...Maybe not that much ..But a little .....
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 8:04am
Just heard this saying Ed ..from Gregg Taylor He works for Jack Littlefield I think the Guy that rebuilds and collects old Tanks and Light infantry Vehicles ....
                "The sound of Gun fire out Here Means the sound of FREEDOM !!!!"
"White Rhino"

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 9:48am
The funny thing about this discussion is that, having been there on both sides of the pond, the UK requirements for a firearm are about the same as our requirements here for title III.
So in reality a suppressor is about the same to get in both countries.

Here is a pic of my Fultons mount, look at the front end of the rail.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 8:19am
"Title III" refers to fully automatic firearms, silencers etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buggadifino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 11:18pm
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the interest.  Suppressors on full bore rifles in the UK were almost unknown until about 10 years ago and permits for them were very tough to get out of police until someone took their police department to court on health and safety grounds and won.  Now they are almost routine, yet gun crime has not gone up.  Which tells you all you need to know about most gun law.

Shamu,

Thanks for the photo of your mount, it is clearly longer than mine.  I will post a close up in the next few days.  I am away from home at the moment so cannot do so sooner.

Regards

Andy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buggadifino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 2:43am
Shamu,

As promised a slightly more close up shot of my scope mount.  Yours is clearly longer but I have no idea why this should be.  I would ask Fultons but the last time I was in the shop their customer service left a little to be desired.  Not been back since.

Regards,

Andy.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 3:27am
Good picture.
Interestingly the 3 cross slots are there in both versions. I'd almost thought maybe yours had been shortened at the 3rd cross slot, but not so!

One of the reasons I went with the Fultons, which I had to get shipped from the U.K. was that little extra length. There is a copy or clone here with the shorter length, but I couldn't get the eye relief with the scope that I needed as you can see in this picture. I wonder why they were shortened? Weight saving maybe? Makes no sense to me as the copy is now about identical & they lost the advantage.Confused

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic