Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.303 ammo question HXP 86

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runvs68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .303 ammo question HXP 86
    Posted: 12 November 2011 at 5:12pm
Just bought a box (48 rounds) of HXP 86 .303 ammo in Oklahoma today for $34.95 +taxes.....what does everyone thing about this ammo.  I have looked around and it seems to be rated good ammo and for that price its cheaper. They are full metal jacket also wondering what grain they are?
New to my Enfield but I love it!!
Sponsored Links

Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2011 at 6:06pm
The HXP is top rated 303 ammo and should be reloadable. If you don't reload yourself, keep it to sell or pass on to someone who does.

Ed
Rob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2011 at 7:49pm
Thats cheap I can get privi-partzan 180 grn in the 20 pack for 21.99 and our wonderful two taxes10% and most other "name brands for around the 22-25 dollar mark,but I reload so dont purchase much new  anymore
A true measure of a man is not how he act's when thing's are going well.But how he act's when things are going Bad.
R.S.G.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2011 at 8:05pm
The bullet is a 174 grain and the round  has the same performance as Mk VII ball.  The Greeks recieved a large number of Enfields after WWII and loaded  ammo for them.  It is really good ammo and non corrosive. 
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
runvs68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runvs68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2011 at 8:23pm
Thanks for the imput and answers one other when I was given the enfield I was also given 20 rounds of Hornady 150 soft tips are they corrosive or not?
New to my Enfield but I love it!!
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2011 at 1:16am
I have used and reloaded HXP cases in the past. I suggest you check the cases carefully as the brass is prone to cracking after a couple of reloading sessions and can lead to case separation. Get yourself a case extractor otherwise it could ruin a day at the range.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2011 at 1:48am
I just noticed this thread, figured I'd add my .02.

From what I found when examining a broken down round (I always pull and section one bullet from any batch of milsurp ammo I'm not already familar with),
1. The bullet is a solid lead core, aproximately 175 grain.
2. The case is practically identical to Winchester commercial .303 brass of the same vintage, one case from a 48 rnd box even having the same manufacturing defect I'd found in a box of the Winchester ammo. The relief cut above the rim was about 6 times as broad.
These are boxer primed, and probably non corrosive, but I'm not entirely certain of the last.

Others have done more careful studies of this ammo, and they all seem to agree that the brass drawing equipment , bullets, and powder are identical to that used by Winchester.

Winchester .303 brass does have a rep for short case life if headspace is not close to SAAMI maximum specs.

I've only fired a few rounds of this ammo, been saving it for use in my SMLE which has good headspace at .067-.068. The few rounds I have fired in the SMLE showed no sign of excessive stretch or annular rings.  

I got this ammo at $12.95 per 48 rnd box many years ago.

PS
I've seen it claimed that HXP ammo was made on equipment from Britian, but theres no simularity between the HXP and British milsurp .303 that I can see.
Britian cut off foreign aid to Greeceshortly after WW2 and the U S took up the slack in rebuilding Greece's arms industry. The Germans had stolen or destroyed all cartridge manufacturing machinery during the war.
Its not unlikely that pre WW2 Greek ammo was made on British equipment.

I suspect that Winchester has bought components from Greece, and that the Winchester brass I mentioned was drawn on the same machinery which would explain the identical defect.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic