Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

G'day from New Zealand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Land Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G'day from New Zealand
    Posted: 03 September 2012 at 11:04pm
Hi Guys, I'm fairly new to Enfield Rifles. I have a sporterised Longbranch no4mkI in 303/25 which I shoot 100gr prohunters and 87 gr Varmint projectiles for Goats, Bunnies, Pigs and hopefully a deer. The 303/25 is a moa rifle when I do my part. I also have a sporterised no4mkI* 303 that I have just accurized and added a new stock. I am now ready to start reloading to see if I can get it shooting even better. My third 303 is a sporterised 1896 BSA & M co LE I. The 1896 has a short barrel not the long tom, maybe off a SMLE? I'm not sure but the barrel is bright and shiny with heaps of rifleing. It has a NZ C14 on the butt plate. I enjoy reloading and plan to pick members brains for any tips that may help my accuracy.
When I am not hunting I am an avid fly fisher and fly tier for New Zealand Brown and Rainbow Trout.

I look forward to catching up with you.

cheers Land Rover
Sponsored Links

Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 7:12am
Welcome Land Rover to the forum, We have excellent trout fishing here as well just a few hours from my home. I wonder if our Brown and Rainbow here are the same spiecies?

Cookie Monster
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 11:11am
Welcome to the forum Landrover. hey you could post some pics of these rifles, they sound interesting!
Life is full of possibilities, 50% of them are likely to good....
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 12:22pm
Welcome the the forum.  Are you south or north island? New Zealand is a beautiful place; my wife and I spent a month visiting the South Island for our honeymoon. We even got to Stewart island for a few days.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 1:49pm
Another welcome!
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 12:28am
Welcome aboard, fellow New Zealander!  (OK, I'm a naturalized Kiwi but hey, I'm a Kiwi just the same!)

I have a 303-25 and a great calibre it is.  Mine is a Sportco built on a Lithgow action.  It seemed pretty accurate when last I grouped it at 185yds - sub MOA.  The 25-303 is an equal match to the 243 although the 243 will have a little better long range performance due to the higher sectional density of equal weight bullets.

I also have an 1896 BSA&Co with a carbine barrel.  Mine has passed its 'use by date' as the locking lug recesses are flaking the case hardening.  I only use low pressure loads in it but intend to de-activate it as a 303 soon and convert it to a 22 hornet.

I changed the bolt - it has the original bolt safety.

P.S. He's a South Islander.  See the scenery? And trout fishing is a give away too.  We do have it on the North Island but Land-Rover, trout fishing and hunting in one package?  That's South Island - am I right?
303Guy
Land Rover View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Land Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

Welcome the the forum.  Are you south or north island? New Zealand is a beautiful place; my wife and I spent a month visiting the South Island for our honeymoon. We even got to Stewart island for a few days.

Hey Zed, Top of the South Island, Marlborough. I would like to get to Stewart Island to shoot White Tail Deer.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Land Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by 303Guy 303Guy wrote:

Welcome aboard, fellow New Zealander!  (OK, I'm a naturalized Kiwi but hey, I'm a Kiwi just the same!)

I have a 303-25 and a great calibre it is.  Mine is a Sportco built on a Lithgow action.  It seemed pretty accurate when last I grouped it at 185yds - sub MOA.  The 25-303 is an equal match to the 243 although the 243 will have a little better long range performance due to the higher sectional density of equal weight bullets.

I also have an 1896 BSA&Co with a carbine barrel.  Mine has passed its 'use by date' as the locking lug recesses are flaking the case hardening.  I only use low pressure loads in it but intend to de-activate it as a 303 soon and convert it to a 22 hornet.

I changed the bolt - it has the original bolt safety.

P.S. He's a South Islander.  See the scenery? And trout fishing is a give away too.  We do have it on the North Island but Land-Rover, trout fishing and hunting in one package?  That's South Island - am I right?

Yep, You got me. Blenheim is my home town. I have a 1896 aswell and I think it also has a Carbine barrel (quite short) would these have been converted as a cadet rifle?. Mine has a mint barrel so I think I can shoot it, I will get it shecked first. I will post pics of my rifles in the weekend when I get some spare time.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Land Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Cookie Monster Cookie Monster wrote:

Welcome Land Rover to the forum, We have excellent trout fishing here as well just a few hours from my home. I wonder if our Brown and Rainbow here are the same spiecies?

Cookie Monster

Our Rainbows were introduced from California USA in the late 1800's and our Brown trout came from Tasmania Australia via Britain. I have great trout fishind a few minutes from my home Smile
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 2:00pm
welcome , nice rifle and great taste in fishin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Land Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

welcome , nice rifle and great taste in fishin

Lets see if I can work out how to load a pic

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Land Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 12:39pm
Hey it worked, sweet now I can add pics of my enfields.
By the way that is a brown trout I caught on a size 14 Nymph a few years back.

Thats me with my nicest Brown trout. (Ten years ago)

You can see the trout trying to break me off under that big boulder. (he never succeeded)

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 1:14pm
I would love to fish that !!!  thats an awesome Looking stream !  if nothing else , just sit back in the water with a 12 pack and enjoy !!!!

We dont have any streams down here in South Louisiana that clear !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 1:58pm
  Strewth, we're in trouble now. We will be swamped with photo's.Thumbs Up

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2012 at 9:33am
[QUOTE=muffett.2008]  Strewth, we're in trouble now. We will be swamped with photo's.Thumbs Up

Any more pics like that you'll be swamped with BRITS!!! Smile
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Do Muslims have Piggy banks?

Born free taxed to death!!!

Semper im Faecebus sumus sole profundum variat
hoadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2012 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by White Rhino White Rhino wrote:

I would love to fish that !!!  thats an awesome Looking stream !  if nothing else , just sit back in the water with a 12 pack and enjoy !!!!

We dont have any streams down here in South Louisiana that clear !!!

WE do..come on up to the cabin Rhino...before its gone
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic