Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you tell?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you tell?
    Posted: November 22 2006 at 5:37pm
I am sure it’s been told a thousand times in this spread somewhere……..but how do you tell the deference between a the Enfield rifles?   Is mine a Mark III or Mark IIII etc.
Sponsored Links

Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 9:05pm
By MkIIII I presume you mean the No4, There is no MkIIII.
The No1 mkIII has the end of the barrel flush with the nosecap, Barrel mounted rear sight and protective "ears" either side of the rear sight.
The No4 mk1 has a few inches of barrel sticking out of the forend with bayonet lugs on the barrel and a rear mounted apeture sight. It will also be marked No4 Mk1, Mk1*, Mk2, Mk1/2, Mk1/3 . As you see there are a few different Mk's of the No4 but they all look the same. The differences are in the method of bolt removal and the trigger mounting.
At the top of this forum there is a photo of a No4.
Hope this has cleared it up a bit for you. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 9:06am
Looks like mine is a B.S.A. 1940 SHLE III sporter.  I wish it was original but since it is a sporter........how hard is it to add a scope and use for a hunting rifle?
shotgunminister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 10:10am
Easiest way the tell is the no. 4 has a squared off reciever instead of the round  one on the previous models.
I've seen the future and I don't like it.
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 8:37pm
What has been done to sporterise it?
Has the barrel been cut or not?
If it has not been cut then it may only be a case of replacing wood work and other furniture and the rifle will be more or less original.
Has it been drilled and tapped to accept a scope already? If not then a no drill mount may be in order. There are different brands available but I have no experience with any of them but I am sure someone here may be able to help. I know that some are much better than others.
If you want to go down the road of putting her back to original then you will get lots of good advice from to good folks here.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2006 at 8:54am
There is a Mount  made by S&K (avalible through Brownells ) It requires no Drilling as it fits on to were the rear sight is ! Contrel also offers mounts but these have to be drilled ! There is nothing wrong with a Sporterized Enfield if your going to be using it for Hunting . Collecting is of course a different Kettle of Fish ! I don't own a full wood enfield ,as mine are working rifles ! I am going to restore my 1902 MK1 as it is now in retirement !

Dave
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2006 at 2:33pm
I believe all that has been sporterized is the the stock.  The barrel length and sights look is normal. The aftermarket stock is nice with high cheekrest.  Bottom line is that I am no hunter....... just a shooter and collector.  I am either going to make it original or trade it off.
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2006 at 3:24pm
I believe there are sources for stock sets in the U.S but some of the guys from over that way will be able to help with companies.
Changing the wood is an easy job with no special tools required apart from a large flat screwdriver.
Depending on how much the wood and other parts cost, It may be cheaper to trade it off for a complete rifle. I am not too sure what a complete rifle sells for over there.
Let us know what you decide when the time comes.
Tymber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tymber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 10:45pm
Here's a good info site

and a couple of sites for parts

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic