Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ishapore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ishapore
    Posted: September 24 2012 at 12:52am
Not sure if this is the correct forum for an ishapore, but i have a gibbs #7  (basically a sporterized ishapore), had a few questions on interchangeable parts, it is a 2A1 and was wondering where i can get parts for the bolt etc if needed be, also needed help on getting a scope mounted, is it possible to get a scope that doesn't go over the action? i wanted the ability to still use stripper clips, and that would hinder it. i would need to have a "scout" setup without doing too much to the rifle itself, i want to avoid drilling/tapping, however would mounting a rail to a spare rear site work? and finally how much is the rifle considered to be worth? i know people are going to say it's garbage because it is a sporterized gun but it is actually a very nice built gun and in excellent condition (under 40 rounds fired) 
daneko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 2:04am
SK has a pic of a scout type mount. for #1mark 3, goes in the rear sight position, I don't have one [yet] so don't know how well it works
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 5:59am

welcome to the madness , wishing you luck on your search for a mount and duck when hoadie sees ya callin the chargers stripper clips
jc33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 8:28am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

welcome to the madness , wishing you luck on your search for a mount and duck when hoadie sees ya callin the chargers stripper clips

won't be the first, i use m14 stripper clips, so i will keep calling them stripper clips Smile
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by jc33 jc33 wrote:

Not sure if this is the correct forum for an ishapore, but i have a gibbs #7  (basically a sporterized ishapore), had a few questions on interchangeable parts, it is a 2A1 and was wondering where i can get parts for the bolt etc if needed be, also needed help on getting a scope mounted, is it possible to get a scope that doesn't go over the action? i wanted the ability to still use stripper clips, and that would hinder it. i would need to have a "scout" setup without doing too much to the rifle itself, i want to avoid drilling/tapping, however would mounting a rail to a spare rear site work? and finally how much is the rifle considered to be worth? i know people are going to say it's garbage because it is a sporterized gun but it is actually a very nice built gun and in excellent condition (under 40 rounds fired) 

If you don't care for the scout mount you could use an offset mount or a swing over.
Both are mounted to the left wall so no DT'ing of the receiver ring would be necessary.

With the swing over you can unlatch the hinged mount and swing the scope to the left leaving it clear of the charger bridge.

With an off set mount properly zeroed the line of flight of the bullet will never be further from the POA than the distance from bore line to reticle. If zeroed to 300 yards then it would have a POI of an inch or so to the left of POA at 100, a much smaller deviation at 200, dead on at 300, then maybe an inch off at 400.
Since a lefthand rifling twist gives bullet drift to the left at longer ranges as the velocity drops while bullet rotation speed remains high, then theres a certain range of zero where the path of the bullet will once again converge on the line of sight at extreme ranges. It would take a lot of calculation to figure out the best range to establish zero.

Off set scopes aren't as precise as an over the bore scope, but have given good service with the Garand sniper rifles.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 4:04am
ahhhhh , but its fitting and proper terminology to use "stripper clip" when referring to them in regard to the M14/M1A and M16/AR15 , just as the M1 used enblock 'clips' , just not so when when referring to the enfeilds as they are properly chargers ,

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 4:20pm
He'll get Hoadied!!!LOL
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

jc33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 1:17am
Originally posted by LE Owner LE Owner wrote:

If you don't care for the scout mount you could use an offset mount or a swing over.
Both are mounted to the left wall so no DT'ing of the receiver ring would be necessary.

With the swing over you can unlatch the hinged mount and swing the scope to the left leaving it clear of the charger bridge.

With an off set mount properly zeroed the line of flight of the bullet will never be further from the POA than the distance from bore line to reticle. If zeroed to 300 yards then it would have a POI of an inch or so to the left of POA at 100, a much smaller deviation at 200, dead on at 300, then maybe an inch off at 400.
Since a lefthand rifling twist gives bullet drift to the left at longer ranges as the velocity drops while bullet rotation speed remains high, then theres a certain range of zero where the path of the bullet will once again converge on the line of sight at extreme ranges. It would take a lot of calculation to figure out the best range to establish zero.

Off set scopes aren't as precise as an over the bore scope, but have given good service with the Garand sniper rifles.

thanks for the info, this is my first rifle, accuracy isn't really the biggest of my concerns, the furthest i plan to shoot is roughly 600 yards, that is as far as my land goes, i was looking for that type of scope originally but i did not know the name of it, what mounts are compatible for this option, also after thinking about it for a bit i wouldn't actually mind blocking the charger bridge, so now i am just looking for normal mounts as well. also which scope mounts are compatible with the ishapore receiver? 
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 2:37am

Originally posted by LE Owner LE Owner wrote:

thanks for the info, this is my first rifle, accuracy isn't really the biggest of my concerns, the furthest i plan to shoot is roughly 600 yards, that is as far as my land goes, i was looking for that type of scope originally but i did not know the name of it, what mounts are compatible for this option, also after thinking about it for a bit i wouldn't actually mind blocking the charger bridge, so now i am just looking for normal mounts as well. also which scope mounts are compatible with the ishapore receiver? 

All I can tell you is that I've seen the swing over and side mounts in my old Williams Gunsight catalog, and there were several side mounts made for the SMLE by UK firms.
There may be dimensional differences between SMLE and 2A, I really can't say, but the design of the receiver/action body is the same.
I'd leave the charger bridge acessible, and go with the side mount, then buy a repro of the Garand lace on leather cheekpiece.
If you can zero for 600 yards all the better.

You won't be making headshots on praire dogs in any case, though knowning just how far the the left center of the group would be at any range will allow you to hold off just the right amount to stay in the zone.

PS
Enfields have the front sight base off set to the left to compensate for bullet drill + plus Bullet throw caused by the rear locking action. So bore sighting of a scope won't get you as close as it would with most other rifles. The line of sight and bore line are never parallel in the verical plane, at least with the MkVII ammo or equivalent. Whether this also applies to the 2A I have no idea.
If so, a scope offset to the left if parallel to the bore might naturally be in tune with the point of impact at extreme range.

PPS
A question for the other members.
Most SMLE charger bridges I've seen aren't quite square on the top, no reason they should be I suppose. Does this pose a problem when using a mount that engages the charger bridge?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic