Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trajectory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trajectory
    Posted: September 28 2012 at 9:13am
he!!o, I am a new owner of a sporterized Mk 4. I would like to know if anyone has recorded the distances, without any substantive bullet drop, that can be expected, using the normal peep sight. I would be interested in 150, 174, and 180 gr projectiles, considering that is all I have found to be available. I just purchased PPU 174 fmj.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2012 at 11:45am
Zero for 200 yards it will be about 3" high at 100 yards with the typical 303 load, beyond that you will start having greater variation by bullet type and load. 

The sights are graduated for a 174 grain falt based bullet leaving the muzzle at 2440 fps.  The closest hunting load would be a handload  using the Sierra 180 grain soft point pushed to that velocity. Varget does it easily. That load with 300 a yard zero is about 6" high at 200 yards.  I am certain there are tables for the mid range trajectory of Mk VII ball for longer ranges.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2012 at 11:43pm
I'm assuming you have a sight with a flip up ladder & a "battle sight" & you want to use the battle sight?

There were several sights which is why I ask.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 12:06am
PPU 174 grain fmj should perform well for target shooting. 
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

engtee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 12:14am
Thx for the info. I do have the flip-up sight, with the micro adjustment. I also was wondering if the graduations on that are in yards or meters? I was also looking for a windage adjustment.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 4:21am
Marks are in yards. 100yd setting is 4 clicks down from "2" with the micrometer. Battle sight is 300 IIRC.
That should put you about 3" high at 100, 1" high @ 200 & dead on @ 300 assuming the sporterising hasn't disturbed the bedding & messed zero up. You can re-adjust by changing front sight blade height by replacing the blade.

There is only drifting the front sight or Kentucky windage on the standard sights.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
John Sukey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Sukey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 4:35am
In any case the graduations are a guide.  Many factors can influence that.
Bullet weight, barrel wear, powder charge, Commercial ammo versus military
If you are target shooting, making a "range card" with the actual sight settings would be a good idea.
The Brits do that

Britain was not FORCED go to the metric system until many many years after WW2.

Oh by the way, Russian moisens were calibrated in "arshins"
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 6:18am
I believe the SKS is also marked in arshins??
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 8:58am
Russia went Metric with the Bolshevik revolution in 1917  Mosin 91/30s and later will be in meters
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 9:00am
If you happen to know someone with a lathe and mill you might persuade him to make you a windage adjustable front site.

In fact, I know of someone in the US who could build one for a price - he does gunsmithing. 
303Guy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic