Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marks
    Posted: January 30 2006 at 8:46am
Can anyone give me info on the marks on my rifle?  On the right side of the barrel just behind the muzzle is printed: .303 2.22" 18.5 tons.  I know what the .303 is but not the rest.  Also on the right side of the rifle just behind the hand guard is stamped "England" with a crown with a C or circle under it.  Inside the C is an I or maybe a P.  I know this isn't the best description but can anyone help me out?
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 9:38am

Check on the left side of the receiver and see what is marked there, is your rifle a NO4Mk1 or a No5MK1 Jungle Carbine ? Or perhaps a No1Mk111 ?

There should be more info on the left buttsocket strap where the wood meets the receiver that will tell you the year and manufacturer.If you send the info to the site I will try and thers will try to help ID your rifle. Later, John

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 10:18am

I have a No. 4 MK1.  My serial starts with AW17***.  Above the serial on the buttsocket strap are the numbers: A "Y" in a box(maybe), 994 thena fuzzy symbol that I can't make out.  Once again I know this isn't a great description but it's really all I can make out.  I'd like to add that there are no eltro-penciled marks anywhere on the rifle.  The Crown mark I described earlier actually has a circle underneath it with an I in it.  The stock has the following on it:

BW

S

It's stamped just like that^^.

BTW eric, I stripped off the goo that I described in my other post.  The wood looks absolutely beautiful.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 10:36am
Originally posted by DEXX DEXX wrote:

Can anyone give me info on the marks on my rifle?  On the right side of the barrel just behind the muzzle is printed: .303 2.22" 18.5 tons.  I know what the .303 is but not the rest.  Also on the right side of the rifle just behind the hand guard is stamped "England" with a crown with a C or circle under it.  Inside the C is an I or maybe a P.  I know this isn't the best description but can anyone help me out?

2.22 = case lenght , 18.5 tons is the pressurethe rifle was proof tested to  & the Crown= the proving house that it was tested at (all British rifles have this mark )

Dave
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 10:53am
How can I tell manufacturer?  I finally determined the date as 9/1944.  Thanks for the input dave.
Eric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 11:38am

Hey Dexx, here's a site that has a TON of info on the Enfield rifle markings. I have to say, I have never seen some of the markings you are describing.

Eric

http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/gh.htm

Edited by Eric - January 30 2006 at 1:24pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 11:46am
Link please.  I'm a major noob with Enfield's eric so maybe I'm not describing them right.
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 11:47am
Hey Dexx, see if someone can post a pic on here for you, sure would help being able to see what ya got.
jona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 12:02pm
Can tell the manufacturer by the serial number.  What is it?
jona
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 12:27pm

That's the best i can do.  My camera just won't catch the detail.  I doubt it helps but it's the best I have.

Edited by DEXX - January 30 2006 at 12:29pm
Eric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 1:25pm

Sorry, I neglected to insert the link!  LOL.

http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/gh.htm

Eric

Eric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 1:27pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 1:49pm
Thanks alot eric.  You've been most helpful.  Looks like my rifle was made by Austey & Wilson.  Thanks again for everyone's help.  I can't wait to shoot this rifle!!!!!!!!!
Eric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 1:51pm

Anytime I can help, I will!

Have fun shooting, and be careful.

Eric

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic