Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Stuff for Enfields > Enfield Stuff for Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield barrels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield barrels
    Posted: September 08 2013 at 11:01am
he!!o forum folks,
I am a new member to the forum and wanted to tap into some of the knowledge of You old hands at the Enfield. I have a chance to buy a No.1 Mk.111 from a member of My gun club, it appears to be all original with matching numbers, no one has fooled around with the wood or metal finishes. It is produced by BSA 1,915 date with magazine cutoff still in place. The question I have You guys have most likely heard already, but I didn't feel like wading thru all the forum to find out. The rifles bore  is very dark and I would like to replace it, is there any one making re-placement barrels for this rifle? I have checked the web sites of several barrel makers that I am aware of but found nothing. I have some knowledge of these rifles but I am mostly an American service rifle nut, that makes up the bulk of My collection. Any help would be appreciated, or thoughts You may have. Thanks.
mjm
Sponsored Links

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 12:27pm
Krieger in the US will but it will be pricey, they have a subsidiary Criterion who does make replacement barrels mostly for US rifles but they are set up to do large runs and that keeps the price reasonable.  The CMP gets theirs from Citerion. There are some firms in Austrailia who make them but then there is the import costs.  I'd see how it shoots first (after a good cleaning) Try flat based bullets in the 174-180 grain range they seem to shoot the best in worn barrels particularly at around 2000 fps.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
LilysDad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilysDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 9:24pm
Other than being dark, what condition is the rifling in? I just read on the internet to use foaming gun cleaner in the barrel. Block the muzzle w/ cotton patches and shoot the cleaner in from the breach and let it set.
mjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 11:45pm
he!!o,
Thank You to LilysDad   and Sw28fan for Your advice on the Enfield barrel question. I will ask the owner of the rifle if I can fire it a few times at the range to see if there is still enough of the lands to make it a worth while rifle. I did take a look at the bore and there seems to be a good deal of the lands left. I will try the bore foam to see if it will clean it up some, any bit will help. Thanks for Your replies.
mjm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic