Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble properly Identifying my Enfield.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken2756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble properly Identifying my Enfield.
    Posted: February 18 2014 at 1:47pm
I recently acquired this gun, i know its an Enfield by the markings and i know the stock has been changed out, but still having some issues with figuring out what actual type it is for sure.  Any assistance would be EXCELLENT!
From the markings i can make out it says  GR B 1942 SHT LE III * F.I.R.

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 5:03am
It appears to be a sporterized Lee Enfield  (SMLE) No1 MkIII* 
"GR" is for George Rex with the crown symbol above. "Sht LE" is for Short Magazine Lee Enfield.
Is it possible the "F.I.R." could be FTR ? which would be Factory Through Repair. I'm sure others on the forum who are far more knowledgeable than I will be able to give more info on maker etc; and correct me if I have made an error Ermm

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 6:47am
Zed got it for you. A little more is that it is a BSA rifle manufactured in 1942...... whoa.... There's an issue here in looking at the pictures. Serial number on the barrel matches receiver but barrel is dated 1918 on a 1942 dated receiver? That is a bit concerning.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 7:59am
im thinking a mixmaster of parts , the B on the socket suggests 'BSA Co' as the mfgr , but as they are really scrubbed looking im not sure of anything here , except that BSA was the last rmkIII/III* mfgr in that time period in england , oh , and its been sported , 
ken2756 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken2756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:22am
So basically its a Hodgepodge gun that is relatively worthless or not?
Also upon closer inspection it looks like it does say F.T.R.  I originally thought it was F.I.R. but i can make out what looks to be the top of the T.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:26am
Another welcome to our Merry Band

Your rifle originally was like the one on top
 photo 5C2D71A9_zps763e9145.jpg
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 4:33pm
It is a 1918 BSA, FTR'd in 1942.  The barrel must have been +80% to remain unchanged.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 7:32pm
It doesn't look like it has a magazine, either.(Unless its a 5 round)
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
ken2756 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken2756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 4:44am
I have the magazine for it as well, just did not have it in when i took the pictures.
So would it be worth it to put it back onto original stock? And also is it hard to do or if i go that route should i find a gunsmith?  because looking at a lot these guns, the front sight post and muzzle look a lot different.  
I got it because i collect anything and everything from WWII usually military items, i have a good collection going but saw this and picked it up to go with my collection.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:34am

If the barrel has not been cut, and yours does not look to have been, they are easy to restore.

The major parts dealers: Numrich, Springfield Sporter's and Liberty Tree Collectors should have what you need.  Here is a link to a schematic:

Parts 28 & 29 were deleted on the No1 MkIII*
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 8:14am
"...relatively worthless..."     NO , i would not say that , if its restored  it will be a nice representation of the 42 FTR mkIII* , and if it shoots well it will be a shooter too , even as it is , and from what muffet posted and a re-look on my part i was wrong about the 'mixmaster label' , i see it is a matching 1918 dated receiver/barrel , 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 10:26pm
The 1942 FTR would explain why the serials match on receiver and barrel and why the 42 is struck so much deeper than the rest of the marks. I didn't know they stamped over the original date at some point. I am used to seeing the FTR year below the other markings or on the other side in some cases.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 11:14am
me too , that was my confliction ....
wydiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 3:25am
Looking for year of production please.
wydiver
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 1:14pm
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 11:32pm
Couldn't be plainer
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic