Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1907 Bayonet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix8513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1907 Bayonet
    Posted: April 13 2014 at 6:30am
Picked this up from a auction.. Hoping it is somewhat matching my #1 MKIII dated 1917
Any one help me with the details for this bayonet and scabbard? 

I know the bayonet is a wilkinson  and has something marked underneath that I cant make out

The scabbard  is where Im lost on completely as I can only make out a  "OA" on it... Wondering if it even matched the bayonet

Rockape2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockape2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 4:15am
Hi,

Could it be Pall Mall stamped under Wilkinson.

OA is Australian marks, I have seen them on bayonets in the past.

Maybe someone with greater knowledge will correct me.
LuckyLes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyLes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 7:14am
The "OA" on the scabbard is the mark for Orange Armoury which was one of the factories supplying Lithgow during WW2. So the scabbard is Australian.
Les
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 5:25pm
During ww1... the 'Wilkinson Sword Company' had two '07' stampings running concurrently = 
1)  Wilkinson
2)  Wilkinson Pall Mall
The ricasso stamping on this example is:- Wilkinson Pall Mall. This stamping is always found as is upon this example.

During WW2, the only '07' stamping used by Wilkinson was:- WPC S294. The 'S294' was a british coding system = Southern Company no: 294.
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 9:05am
it was made in november [11] of 1917 [17] under the "1907" pattern marking , as much as its an british made WWI bayonet , in a australian made WWII scabbard , id say its still a nice match for your 1917 SMLE ....maybe you can trade scabbards one day with someone who has an early WWI version and needs the WWII or an ausie one 
Phoenix8513 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix8513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 8:47am
Thanks guys...

Im almost done cleaning up the enfield and getting around to assembly.. Ill post up pics when Im all done.. 

There just seems to be this thing called "work" that gets in the way of projects
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 12:27am
In actual fact..  this scabbard is british made. The 'OA' only denotes that the chape was made in Australia, and is probably an Australian replacement for the original. An Australian made locket has a smaller bayonet scabbard lug than the British example shown.

Evidence of the scabbard manufacturer will be found near the locket... stamped into the leather either side of the scabbard seam.
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic