Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No.1 mk.3---> untouched!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No.1 mk.3---> untouched!
    Posted: July 05 2014 at 11:03pm
Ayup chaps.

Its been awhile since I last touched base with everyone... been out of country on family business.

As a coming home, I thought I would share one of my treasure with you all. Its an Enfield made SMLE no1 mk3... in untouched condition. Being 'DP' marked, the barrel and chamber were almost certainly worn out. Without a doubt, this would have been one of the first batch to have seen action in France with the BEF in the early 1914 battles.

I've married it up with an Enfield made '07' hooky, with a date of '4-11'.

This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 11:09pm
continued....

Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 11:14pm
continued.....

Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 11:21pm
continued.....

paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 11:50pm
Very cool rifle!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Jon287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 1:02am
If only it could tell stories!
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their planet!!
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 1:40am
Originally posted by Jon287 Jon287 wrote:

If only it could tell stories!

Vert true indeed! It would certainly help matters if individual weapons could be traced through their service history by using the individual weapon indentifcation number.
BlackAck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackAck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 1:41am
I wonder what regiment is on the stock disc?
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 3:14am
No regimental marking at all on the Stock Disc... just the marking - 01 with a larger '0' to the side. As this is a 'DP' rifle, it could be reference to 'DP number - 10'. However, with the amount of reproduction discs available now, as well as originals as surplus from broken up SMLE's, the numbering could mean anything.

The only other markings on the Butt are as marked:-
A = DP.
B = Sold out-of-service mark.

5thBatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thBatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 4:49am
What do you mean by "untouched"  if you have been told its "untouched" i would be concerned about the front volley sight dial plate as its from a Longlee & not a SMLE 
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 5:36am
5thbatt... what I mean by 'untouched'... is that this SMLE has not been meddled with by altering to post 1916 or WW2 standards. All numbers are matching, and what one would expect to be in place... is there.

As to the volley sight dial... I'm not overly concerned. There were after all, three variations for the Mk.3 seen before deletion. The No.1 Mk.1 and the Mk.3 both used surplus dails from the Long-Lee, as there was no difference in the earlier graduations to match the mk of ammunition used at that time. The three variations for the Mk.3 do differ in graduation markings... all due to the upgrades in ammunition, from Mk.V to Mk.VII

Certain items do escape upgrade or modification for one reason or another. Maybe that is the case here? In any event, everything is well embedded and correctly patinered, with no evidence of recent tampering.
5thBatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thBatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 5:55am
The early SMLEs did not use Longlee volley sights, the ammo may be the same but the difference between the barrel length made a difference to the trajectory of the bullet & so the SMLE dial has different scales of graduations, both do go from 1600 to 2800 but thats all they share in common.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic