Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BSA Mk1* Sporting rifle (build)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 9:25pm
Wow, great job Von Gruff!

Nice lines on that stock and that's a beautiful piece of wood.
I'm curious about your reciever sight. Any chance of some close up pics ?
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 8:20am
I am waiting for the lever headed screws I had made to arrive and I will post a pic when they arrive.
Von Gruff

The ability to do comes with doing.   

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 12:29pm
Just been out and fired the first shots though my rifle and while it was only fireforming loads with the 316-299 over 13.5gn Green Dot (roughly 1400fps) and shot at 35yds as I didn't know how the aperture and new front sight I made was going to calibrate but this is a 10 shot group from standing with the bog-pod. With a quick calculation shows I can get by with a .006 shim between the sight arm and the rifle wrist. I little touch with a file will lift   it but I will wait till I get the new mould and a decent bullet and settle on a hunting load till I finalise that. Very happy so far and this is with a bullet that has no nose support - 304 nose in 306 bore.
Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 1:15pm
I have been working on a second Lee Speed the last few days. Euan got in a 90% inlet and shaped stock for one he wanted to use as a rough hunting rifle and keep his genuine BSA Lee Speed for less strenuous affairs.

90% inlet is a bit of a misnomer as it still took about 15 hrs to get it all into the wood. but having Euans genuine article in hand was a good thing and a bad thing as he wanted both his rifles to "feel" the same in hand. Now I have to say that mine felt good and reasonable slim but after having Euans BSA to compare it to I had to take to the forestock and wrist area with a file and will have to refinish it again.

Yhis is the genuine BSA at top, the 20 in barrelled hunter centre and my effort at the bottom. One thing I had to do with Euans was to change the angle of the butt plate to an agnle which is more suited to his style of shooting. I am quite happy with the angle I have on mine as I am more inclined to stand upright where Euan leans into his shot. Only a few degrees but it does make a difference. I get flat butt against my shoulder with mine while I get more toe with his.

Von Gruff

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 10:07pm
That is great that you had access to an actual Lee Speed for comparison, and I like what you are doing in making a rifle similar to it. Good work there, Von Gruff!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 10:16am
im going on record here - please only do this to previously sported rifle and leave the originals to us collectors , beyond that i admire your work 
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 1:43pm
If they were originals I wouldn't be doing this now would I as they would already be done. Gee
Von Gruff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic