Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Going through my rifle collection and found this.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Going through my rifle collection and found this.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinnacom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going through my rifle collection and found this.
    Posted: July 29 2014 at 10:01am

he!!o,

I have been looking for any additional information on this rifle. I have had it for years and am just getting back into shooting. I never realized that I had this rifle, it was just an old rifle with military sights my Dad had given me way back when.

Says 1913... a 101 yr old rifle.

I thought I had old ammo for this, the ammo calipers out right, but doee not fit (1941 vintage).
I'll look to pick up some fresh rounds soon.

I have not seen any rifle photos with the cleaning kit port, so here's mine/

There are even stamps on the front sight - but there are no marking on the wood other than the circle on the stock side.

The magazine is a replacement, bought it online last week as I never had the original. finish has not been touched yet.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 8:15pm
It appears to be a sporterized SMLE MkIII* (Short Magazine Lee Enfield).
The metal bits look like they are in good condition, if it has a good barrel then it would be worth finding the bits to put it back to original spec (wood and nosecap etc). If it was your Dad's hunting rifle then you may want to leave it as is.
The magazine looks a bit odd to me, I would expect rounded corners; is it a modern replacement?
The GR stamp is for George Rex (King George)
Probably worth checking the head space etc before firing and find out why the ammo didn't fit. I take you are trying .303 British.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 9:05pm
The magazine is a commercial replacement. That mey be part of the ammo not fitting problem as those mags are notoriously poor.
Another possibility is that during the sporterisation it may have been changed to a different caliber. That's something to have a gunsmith check out.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 11:32pm
What do you mean by the ammo doesn't fit?
Does it feed out of the magazine or will it not chamber if loaded one at a time?
It say 303 on the barrel so presumably, it is still 303.
If it's a feed problem it is probably the magazine feed lips that need adjusting.
Be a bit more specific and we may be able to help a little more.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 10:04am
it appears to be a sported mkIII [1913] that was made a mk III* somewhere in time , but also looks to have been a commercial mkIII converted ? did they confiscate rifles in that era ? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic