Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new Enfield to me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-day85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new Enfield to me
    Posted: August 19 2014 at 7:05am
Hi everyone! Long time looker but first time poster.. I just got an Enfield given to me I've fired it and shoots OK for what it is. Here are some pictures if what I have. So far a M1 mrk3 1904? I could use some help trying to figure out what I have. Thanks guys

When I shoot it the brass had a small flare towards the rim like the casing was going to split.. Too much headspace I think, I ordered up my oakie gauges. Can I change my headspace with a new bolthead?
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 3:52pm
D-Day85... what you have is a sportized SMLE No1 Mk1*** As the SMLE No1 Mk1 was only introduced in 1903...1904 is the 2nd year of manufacture.

Here is a pic of what your rifle would have looked like in its original format...

The '*' astrix indicate upgrades/modifications to the original specifications.

In regard to your headspace question... I personally would recommend you contact a professional gunsmith first... then put your question to them.
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 8:55pm
d=day85

Just to further what Sarge has said..swapping boltheads isn't as simple as one would think.
There is a who;e thread on that subject..somewhere on the forum to explain it all.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 11:12pm
d-day85... If you do find (through professional advice) that it will be ok to go ahead with a bolt-head change, and you do not know what to do with the original item... or you do not feel that it is worth keeping... you have a buyer for it already... ME!   
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 11:56pm
Holy cow, someone loved to use EVERY punch in the set.
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 12:31am
Originally posted by DairyFarmer DairyFarmer wrote:

Holy cow, someone loved to use EVERY punch in the set.

That's due to the fact that each '*' indicates that the rifle has been through a different modification each time. Each stage within any single process requires the item be inspected... and its certainly had a thorough one!
MaxP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 10:10pm
At the risk of sounding pedantic, it's a Short, Lee Enfield Mk1***. The designation of "No1" did not come about until 1926 and then it was noted that the Mk1 family be omitted from the name change.

LoC Entry A1635 dated  May, 1926.

Looks like the metalwork is in great condition! You can use a bolt head from a No1 MkIII in your bolt body if that is what's needed, but keep your original bolt head with it's sliding charger guide, they are rare as budgies teeth.
+1 on getting the headspace checked out, but make sure whoever does it uses a .074" gauge, not an undersized saami one.
Your cases may be suffering more from being well below military specs too... Most commercial brass is made to saami specs, not the OEM's specs.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 1:05pm
are there two rear sights on that- or am i seeing double again ? gotta lay off the single malt ....i think its a shadow but i cannot determine which rear sight is on it , if its the older speed sight it has more value , if the later mkIII* not so much 
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 6:01pm
Its the Watkins/Speed sight from Enfield Lock, the boy who could give you the ins and outs of your rifle, 5th Batt, seems to have been sacked from the forum.Disapprove
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 7:21pm
What a shame. His collection of rifles is a very good source of information that will be missed here, I would think.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 7:55pm
Looks like a nice rifle and probably worth the effort to get it back to original spec if possible. It may take a while to find the correct parts though!

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 8:29am
5th is not here anymore ??? no way !!!!!!! 

this site will suffer if that is true , its the best enfield site left and we need all of the experts here , someone plase PM me about the facts and reasons please , im not real happy about this if its true 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic