Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Enfield... ID Help PLS..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamCaleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 10:03pm
I was actually thinking about going the cerakote route

So, do you think the flat black would be the closest representation of the finish that would be on the No4's?

Cerakote also has a "parkerized" color that would offer better protection than actual park. Might go that route.

Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

That rifle was probably never blued, that was a finish used more on the older No1 rifles.
Most of the No4's were parkerised then painted over with an oddball paint called "Suncorite" that is hard to find nowadays.
There are a couple of modern ceramakote colors that match pretty closely the semi-matte black finish that are available though.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 12:23am
It isn't a flat black its somewhere between glossy & eggshe!!. Kind of a semi-gloss.
The only ones left with the park showing were the Savage-made ones, everything else I ever saw was paint over park. During service some were painted with an olive drab kind of gereen paint as a rust protector.

The Savage park was also an odd kind of olive green color as well.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 2:32am
I think black "Stove Paint" is pretty close.  You might try googling Suncorite for sale and get lucky,  though it most likely be expensive and have an impressive MSDS.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
IamCaleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamCaleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 2:51am
I have a buddy who does cerakoting/duracoating and can get it close to original black color. Considering this stock only has one stamp ("E") on the top of the wrist, I will refinish the stock with sone cleaning and BLO. I might leave the buttstock with the repair just smooth it out.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 3:18am
I have seen Suncorite paint still used but a modified version; it is an industrial paint used in the motor industry for chassis parts etc. But the only info I found about buying it was for bulk factory supply! OK if you need a few hundred litres but crap if you just want a pot to do a rifle.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 3:37am
I checked it is made by Henkel group, the same people who own Loctite, you might be able to get a distributor like Grainger to special order a reasonable amount of it for you
Have a Nice Day
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 5:41am
Good luck last time I checked it came only in 55 gallon drums & had to ship as HazMat!Censored
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
IamCaleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamCaleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 7:31am
Nah....not going through all that. Cerekote will work fine.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 7:54am
It is an old link but 1 liter tins for sale:
http://www.enfield-rifles.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4367
Have a Nice Day
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic