Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! .303 Remington long barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silenttrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! .303 Remington long barrel
    Posted: September 26 2014 at 10:35am
Hi All,

I have in my posession a rifle that i was hoping i could get some help identifying.  Its a .303 with the stamp RE - i believe this stands for remington made .303.  I have searched the internet but cannot fnd aother one like it - it has a long barrel... serial # 216096.  Internal magazine, long barrel... any thoughts?
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 12:29pm
We really need pictures, that would be a tremendous help. Is the "RE" stamp in an oval? If it is then first thought would be a P14 but like I said, without pictures it's difficult to say.
Eggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 12:37pm
As Bear said sounds like a Remmington made P14 pics please to confirm
Devout Yorkshireman
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 1:14pm
It sounds like a P-14 second from the top.  That is how it left the factory (in late 1916 by the serial number) though a number have been converted into hunting rifles over the years
5 C2 D71 A9
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
silenttrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silenttrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 1:41pm
Hey all, for some reason I can't upload a photo on the forum... But in looking at pics of a P14, it def looks similar just has the long barrel. My grandpa told me it was a sniper rifle version... Same sights, same breach, same components, just long barrel.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 3:33pm
There is a saying among collectors: "Only buy the rifle, never the story"Wink

The P-14 barrel standard was 26".
Easy to check.
1: Unload the rifle.
2: Close & lock the bolt.
3: slide a cleaning rod in from the muzzle till it touches the bolt face.
4: mark the rod where it exits the muzzle. (felt tip works well)
5: remove rod.
6: Measure from end of rod to mark.

It very possible some of the wood has been removed  making the barrel look even longer.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 6:01pm

If the wood has been cut back then the barrel will seem tremendously long. Also, look around on the forum here, there is a sticky that explains about posting pictures. Also, I didn't notice it before but welcome to the site!

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 7:57pm
well , the pattern 14 rifles evolved from the pattern 13 , just the beginning of WWI , the contracts to produce went to remington , winchester , and eddystone , after the pattern 14 production concluded the three were contracted to the US to produce the model 17 in 3006 , 

they were produced in the millions and in my mind are the best of both the mauser and enfield which both contributed to its development - the mauser in the form of the M1901/3 rifle , 

there is a wealth of info on these in two books - ferris , model of 1917 , and stratton , pattern 1914 &m model of 1917 , you kinda need both even if you dont collect both , i do , as well as their pointy bits , 

rifles - top to bottom - winchester model1917 [M1917] , remington model1917 , eddystone pattern 1914 [P1914]
bayonets - top to bottom - winchester m1917 with US second type scabbard , remington m1917 with first type scabbard , remington p1913 with brit scabbard  same one the p1907 fits , 
not shown is my wwII fiberglass version of the m1917 scabbard or the VN version of the bayonet 

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 8:05pm
Dang it, A_square.... Those pictures always induce drooling! Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic