Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mk4 .22 conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schnitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mk4 .22 conversion
    Posted: September 30 2014 at 8:53pm
I just picked up a .22 conversion , plenty of broad arrows and all numbers match including magazine .
 hopefully someone here can provide a little insight into what I have .

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 4:27am
I believe the No4 type rifles in .22 would  actually be either a No9 or a No7 rifle, both of which are quite rare. The rear sight is identical to that on my No8 rifles (which is another .22 from the early 50's). The "H" marked at the top left of the sight is for special "Horizon" targets used in military training at short range.
Check out the markings and maybe post some more photos and close up's. There were only about 3000 No9 made, not sure how many No7's as I don't have my book handy.
 It should shoot well, and if it's like the other Enfield .22's, you'll need to try lots of different ammo to see what it likes best. It can make a huge difference  to group size.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 8:36am
Very cool.rifle!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:03am
Sweet! I always wanted a .22 Enfield you lucky devil.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 2:35pm
Shamu,
I know where to get a 22 cal Enfield if your willing to pay up to or more than $500 !!!!  I got one and its AWESOME!!!!

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 4:28pm
What I really want is a Canadian no 8. (it's the only one with a functioning magazine.)
For that I'd pay the 500.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 7:05pm
The one I have, the Mag catches the spent casing !!!

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 9:07pm
well , we cannot really see enough here to comment with more than has already been expressed , except to say there were also the canadian Cno7 rifles of the vain , 

but these were single shot while the others were magazine fed , it would be lovely to see detailed photos of your find 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 6:39am
RHINO does it look like a No1 or a No4?
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 1:26pm
If it catches the cases in the mag then it's not a No8, but the No1 and No4 conversions shoot well too!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
schnitz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schnitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 2:55pm
well gents here is a few more pictures , hope this helps identify it
and my .22 trainers below

Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

What I really want is a Canadian no 8. (it's the only one with a functioning magazine.)
For that I'd pay the 500.

Or you could find one of the converted SMLE varients with a Parker Hiscock magazine. The mag will probably cost more than the rifle though.

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

RHINO does it look like a No1 or a No4?

No1 Smamu , it looks like a No1 with the rear sight removed !! and .....Well now Im going to have to take a picture of it and show Y'all!!!!
"White Rhino"

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 9:37pm
please do - we really need to see this one , 

my photo shows a typical no 4 - Cno7 conversion , a no1 - no2 mkIV conversion and an early MLM long rifle shortened and converted trainer 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 6:21am
Please Rhino, I might be seriously interested.
schnitz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schnitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 5:34pm
well it looks like Manton Arms in Birmingham  were making them (Mk 9 royal navy version ) as late as the 1990s apparently excellent rifles and a fine reproduction for the collector and shooter of such long arms ,
 so its not an original issue ,regardless its a beautiful example of a Mk 9 and i shall treasure it.
info found at       http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Enfield_Rifle_No.9.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic