Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Enfield - Sporterized No4 Mk 1/3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Enfield - Sporterized No4 Mk 1/3
    Posted: October 01 2014 at 12:56pm
Hey Guys,
I just picked up my first Enfield this week. I read a little about the FTR rifles but I wonder if this one was sporterized commercially or by an individual?  I'm thinking about drilling and tapping the side of the receiver for a scope mount. Bad move, or is any collector value gone? The front sight is a Parker Hale and the magazine has "Japan"  faintly engraved with an electropen in the side.
Any info would be appreciated.

Jon287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 2:42pm
Welcome. You have a US made Savage rifle. The barrel has been cut so you can do what ever you want without fear of destroying a valuable original rifle. However, there are some nice "smithless" scope mounts made for your rifle.
http://stores.ebay.com/Addley-Precision?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their planet!!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 4:32pm
With the chopped barrel & missing wood its a shooter, not a collector, as for value I dunno, mate but if you want to trade that Jap 5-round mag for a decent working 10 rounder PM me.

S&K make a nice No Drill, No Tap mount, BTW

The rifle was given a total overhaul at Fazakerly (near Birmingham in England ) in 1953 (stamped as FTR No1 Mk 1/3) when it was also improver to the Mk 2 trigger.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
klr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 6:03pm
Thanks for the info, guys. Because of the Parker Hale front sight I wondered if it was converted in England or chopped by an individual here in the States, but I guess it would be easy for a gunsmith to chop the barrel, solder on a new sight, and buy a 5-round mag.

Sorry, Shamu, I like the 5-round mag.

I'll look at that mount, but I'd like to rig up something cheap myself. Part of the reason I bought this cheap chopped rifle was so that I could experiment with it too.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 9:12pm
as a mkI* converted to mk2 they would make excellent deer rifles of the time - obviously what the intent was here , sorry to see collector value lost , but appreciate the intent 
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 5:41am
The stock does not look like those on the commercial sporters.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 6:41am
How about this: . Its drill & tap, but you make it yourself from 3/4" angle iron!
http://www.303british.com/id32.html
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 10:09am
I'll try and get my son the take some pics of the Parker Hale conversion they did on the sporter I have here. Parker Hale used a ladder site pinned as normal to the mounts folded it flat and brazed it to the back of the charger lugs then drilled and tapped the reciever to take a scope mount. It's solid and very neatly done.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

klr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 12:43pm

Tony - I'd like to see the pics. Thanks for the offer.

Shamu- Thanks for the link. That's along the lines of what I'm thinking of. After seeing that mount I did an image search for "Enfield angle iron scope mount" and found these pics below at this link: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?169027-Dril-and-tap-a-enfield-45-70&p=1906258&viewfull=1#post1906258

klr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 3:42pm
This weekend I built a copy of The Indestructible Scope Mount (http://www.303british.com/id32.html) for my sporterized Enfield.  I removed some metal over the action to make it easier to load the rifle and to make sure I had enough room for ejection.  I bolted the rings to the base in order to get the scope as low as possible.  Yes, it's a Bubba special. I used a drill press and a bench grinder.

Weight for the mount is 5.7 ounces.

Total weight  ready to shoot is 8.8 lbs.  

Today we've had rain all day here but I managed to get in one group between showers.  The first shot was 5" low and 5"left. I adjusted the scope and shot 4 quickly.  Given the cheap scope, rough trigger, and a chin weld, I'm rather pleased for a $125 rifle. I think it will make an easy 1.5 moa hunting rifle with a little more work and load development.

ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 6:36pm
Good job on that mount, and nice shooting. I'd love to snag a rifle like that if I could find one for $125. Around here, everyone thinks Bubba's a celebrity, and his rifles are worth a fortune!
W.R.Buchanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 9:43am
KLR:  I think you did a great job on your scope mount.  It looks like you knew what you were doing.

So many people quit before their projects are completely done, you finished yours off nicely and it looks professional.

I like professional.

I would seriously look into one of those Limbsaver Slip On Recoil pads like I put on mine. Size Medium.  look at Walmart for $24.95.

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
klr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 5:12pm
Thanks, Randy. There are a few things I'd improve on the next version, but overall I'm pleased with how it turned out.

I like the idea of a recoil pad, but I'll have to cut the stock first. Due to short arms and a bad shoulder I need a short LOP.  However, I've been really surprised about how little the rifle recoils with 150 gr Prvi. I shot one over the chrono yesterday and it was going 2650 fps. Maybe it's because I've been shooting a 358 Winchester all summer and I'm used to it?
W.R.Buchanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 9:51am
KLR:  Yeah the Privy ammo is running about light .30-06 150 gr loading.. I can shoot my Garand all day long with that stuff with only a tee shirt on for padding.  With 174 Hornadys or 215 gr Woodleighs the recoil will show up. Even with my 200 gr cast 314299's at around 1900fps the hit is noticeable and that's with the pad. I'd suggest getting the medium sized Limbsaver slip on (try Walmart first) and try it before you change the stock. It does add about 1" to the LOP but there were three different lengths of buttstock made for those guns and you may have a short one to begin with.

Also the  rear of the stock is contoured and the pad fits it really well and forms to the butt, which is kind of nice.

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
klr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 2:40pm
I made some changes but haven't had the opportunity to give it a good test at 100 yds.

I installed my best cheap scope, made a cheek rest, worked the trigger to a crisp break @ slightly under 3.5 lbs, and bought a box of the 180gr Prvi soft points.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic