Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sectioned Lithgow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 6:42pm

I understand you and so many others that save for those rarities, and the preservation is apprectiated by me and so many others. I do so much with project stuff just because I hate seeing good rifles get parted out just because the parts are worth more than the rifle. Just last year (while I was in the midst of a bankruptcy) a guy listed an all matching 1917 Lithgow for sale. He wanted a lot for it, but it was still a fair price considering the rarity in this country, but when it didn't sell he took that rifle and stripped it and sold off the parts to guys trying to restore '40's dated Lithgow Bubba'd sporters. It made me physically ill and is part of the reason I do project rifles.

Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

I understand you and so many others that save for those rarities, and the preservation is apprectiated by me and so many others. I do so much with project stuff just because I hate seeing good rifles get parted out just because the parts are worth more than the rifle. Just last year (while I was in the midst of a bankruptcy) a guy listed an all matching 1917 Lithgow for sale. He wanted a lot for it, but it was still a fair price considering the rarity in this country, but when it didn't sell he took that rifle and stripped it and sold off the parts to guys trying to restore '40's dated Lithgow Bubba'd sporters. It made me physically ill and is part of the reason I do project rifles.

Mate it's tragic. That sort of thing was going on and still is in Australia but not to the extent that it was in the 80's and 90's. God knows how many good rifles have been busted up for the parts market. What slowed it here in Australia about 10 years back was the increase in the price of parts as rifles to destroy started drying up and people found more value in buying complete rifles rather than rebuilding sporters. This combined with the sudden spike in interest for good quality enfields stopped suppliers busting up good rifles. It still goes on of course but not near as much. I understand the reasons why enthusiast want to restore old rifles and don't object the slightest, but the reality is, the busting up of good quality rifles was, and still is in Australia, fueled by the demand for parts to rebuild trashed or sportered rifles. In other words, we destroy good guns to rebuild guns that have already been destroyed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic