Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield scope mount question (New pics 10-18)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield scope mount question (New pics 10-18)
    Posted: October 12 2014 at 4:21pm
Greetings Enfield guys!

I am a long time gun nut and have come to your forum with a question. I have never had an Enfield though I often regret not buying one of those Irish ones years ago when they appeared. One of my friends at work brought an Enfield to work that he got from his father. It seems to be a No 4 Mark 1. It has a scope mount on it that seems quality and robust. It will screw off and on no problem.

It is not finely finished but is sturdy. I also noticed the aperture sight is gone. It was not hogged off though. It was skillfully removed. This gun cleaned right up even though the bore was dark and it has not been fired in many decades. The bore is bright and good now.

What do you all think about this scope mount? My buddy may want to sell it but without the aperture sight I don't think I'm interested.

Eggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 12:02pm
It appears to be a N04 T sniper variant but missing its original scope. The rear sight is correct for a T  the peep hole was milled off as it fouled the scope. How much is your buddy asking for it ? Genuine T models can fetch eye watering prices ( one on Gunbroker sold for $9000 recently) but that was with its original Mk32 scope. More pics of the markings will help.
Devout Yorkshireman
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 12:27pm
The peep or battle sight is removed but the flip up rear aperture sight is still there, so even without the scope you can still shoot it. As an original No4 T it is sort after and increasing in value, with an original sight it would be worth even more as Eggy has stated. 
If you don't want it; there are loads of people who do!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 1:02pm
You can buy a replacement rear sight with the "battle sight" if you like & attach it yourself. It should go for $25~$45 depending on condition.  If you do then the ring may foul the scope though which is why it was removed. It looks like the rear-sight on that rifle has been removed at some time as the little cross pin on the left hand end of the rear-sight pivot seems to be missing.

Check up on things like markings for genuine (T) rifles. Because of the "sniper" cachet these were faked quite a bit to turn a common No4 Mk1 into an exotic "sniper" with a premium price.

There are a couple of threads on here describing the clues to real or fake.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Rustygun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 5:36pm
Thanks for the info! I took the gun back to him this morning but can get again any time to study. We don't know anything about Enfields really. I am going to look into the T models and try to determine if his is legit. One guy who seems to know something about Enfields looked at it and said it should have a T stamped on the side of the receiver but it didn't so it was a fake. He offered $250. He is a gun shark though and would cheat someone.
Long branch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long branch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 7:40pm
Even if it's fake, bear in mind that a reproduction sniper mount costs $300.
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 1:37am
I can see the Wrist scope number, also TR on butt socket, mount looks early "Rose", most definately needing closer observation.
Eggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 2:22am
As Muffet says looks promising better pictures are required, is that a cheek rest I can see on the butt? If the scope mount is genuine it's worth 500 bucks alone is there a magazine and bolt?!
Devout Yorkshireman
Longbow14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbow14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 5:26pm
more pictures! even as a reproduction i'd still buy it (knowing i can't afford a real one)
Rustygun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 6:18pm
I texted the guy who owns that gun this morning and asked him to bring it to work again. He had already left the house though. I am off the next two days so he is going to bring it Fri or I may get it before then if I am out his way. I will get some more pics up soon. Thanks for all the info.

One more thing, there is no cheek piece on the gun, but there is a small hole in the comb of the stock. I found that very odd since it was obviously drilled on purpose but I could not imagine why. Maybe the cheek piece had a little peg on the bottom that fit in that hole.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long branch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 7:03pm
Even if it's a reproduction, I'd give about $350 for it and shoot it just like that, provided there's a bolt and magazine, that is.
Rustygun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Long branch Long branch wrote:

Even if it's a reproduction, I'd give about $350 for it and shoot it just like that, provided there's a bolt and magazine, that is.

There is. I just had them out to clean the gun. The gun is pretty good and the bore cleaned up great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long branch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 9:44pm
BTW, the cheekpiece attached to the stock with screws. The (T)s were not built to be (T)s. They were selected from production runs during accuracy testing and fitted with scopes, cheekpieces, and new rear sights.

I just noticed something in the top pic. The receiver appears to have been machined or filed at the front pad and refinished. From what I've been reading on how the (T)s were fitted with scopes, that's something the armorers would have done to ensure that the pad sat on a perfectly flat surface.
Rustygun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 2:55pm
Here are some more pics of the gun. I tried to get pics of the markings. The number on the bolt handle is the same as the number on what you all call the butt socket. That number is light on the butt socket. There is a small number on the side of the scope mount AN7282 and the number 325 on the rings.

He doesn't care how long I keep the gun so I will have it at least a few days if anyone wants more pics of a specific area of the gun. Any info is appreciated!

TheTalman1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheTalman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 9:21pm
bump
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic