Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steel core ammo that ain't

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbitNutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steel core ammo that ain't
    Posted: October 30 2014 at 2:34pm
I have a Siamese Mauser that has been re-barreled in .303 British. 303 British is becoming hard to come by but "Cheaper Than Dirt" has some Greek surplus. This is supposed to be as good as surplus can get.

It's Boxer primed, non-corrosive and according to CTDs description...steel cored. I'm not a fan of steel cored ammo. According to my barrel maker, it causes excessive wear. You may or may not agree with that but that's what they said.

Oh well, I guess I'll just break it down and reuse the primered brass. It was still cheaper than once fired brass!

Except....I hit it with a magnet and got nothing. Then I broke one down and the  exposed base end is clearly lead. I cut it easily with my pocket knife. I then cut one open. If there's a steel core in there I sure couldn't find it. This thing is a thick copper jacket with a lead core.

I am a happy camper...:)

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 4:26am
Its an internet rumor. Maybe someone cut into the nose of a MkVII round & saw the alloy tip & assumed the worst?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic