Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SMLE MK.1, MK.3, Mk.3*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 7:26pm
huh ? do re-enactors do that type of blasphemous thing ? i thought they were oriented at preserving history and promoting it remembrance - not erasing it ..........tell me it aint so 

id far rather see re-enactors use the commercial reproductions to having them mess about with originals that not only lived trough the history but into the future history recorded on them , 
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 8:50pm
As a re-enactor, The Great War, out of period kit, uniform, weapons, manuals....  anything not of the period = post 1918...  is frowned upon.

Yes, we do preserve history, and when interacting with the general public, anything which shows post WW1 amendments will never be seen. For when we are using weapons in a trench event, SMLE's with noted post war FTR's are accepted as long as those amendments are returned to WW1 specifications. So in effect, we are using period weapons as they would have been during The Great War.

Terrylee... I do have two other peddled scheme SMLE's, both 'SSA'. A 1917, and a 1918...

For the moment though, an 'SSA' 1916 eludes me!
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 12:44am
My favorite SMLEs.

Top to bottom:

1908 B.S.A. with Martin Galilean Sight (W.W. I)

1916 B.S.A. with Periscopic Prism  T/S (W.W.I)

1915 Lithgow with Patten 1918 T/S (Australian) (W.W.II)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 4:16am
Are you allowed to remove import & upgrade marks?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 7:16am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Are you allowed to remove import & upgrade marks?
Hoadie

Most certainly not. No erasure of any stamping is allowed. If an SMLE which is known to have post WW1 FTR's, like either my 1918 Enfield, or my 1918 NRF.. is to be used in trench events. The weapon is first fully photographed... noting any post war marking. Only items which do not match the WW1 specifications for manufacture date, and are attached by either screw or clip can be removed..e.g.;
1) A WW2 butt swivel, butt-plate, band sling swivel, cocking piece, nose-cap, rear-sight cap, rear-sight guard, rear-sight bar hinge pin, safety catch spring, trigger guard.
2) Front hand-guard, rear hand-guard, stock, butt.

All removed items must be retained.

If a member takes such a weapon to a living history event, and any post WW1 markings be noticed (like the FTR hatching out of the '*'), the member is duty bound to explain as to what that marking is, and why the weapon has been altered... if that be the case.

No-one would expect to see an 1853 Enfield Musket being used at a re-enactment event depicting Waterloo 1815. So please do not expect to see post WW1 amendments in use on SMLE's during a WW1 re-enactment or living history event.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 6:33pm
OK , i think im better with what occurs , im not solidly behind it at this moment but not against it either in that you are not defacing the actual markings - you are switching out parts to a dedicated period , 

i think i can understand and get behind that to the point it could be returned to end of service by simply switching back the preserved parts , 

i was most offended at the thought of someone taking a 4" grinder and eliminating the service life of a given rifle to fullfill a fantASY - NO MATTER HOW ROOTED IN HISTORY IT MIGHT BE ,  

**sorry seems in my exuberance i hit the caps button , but rather than retype i think i will allow it to emphasise my emotion at this instant , something we often misinterpret in the typed word on forums , i actually was of a high level of emotion thinking that someone would grind off history to relive history as they wish to perceive it - a given year or decade , a given battle in a single war , 

i have no issue with switching out parts - its done every day by collectors - just keep what it came with - with the rifle , 

i have a retro M16A1of 1968-9  vintage , some of it is real some of it is new [i dont own the licence for the three round burst] i often shoot it with a 22cal LR conversion bolt , because i enjoy it , it gets attention at the range because some recognize it , some recognize its different , some actually used it [in its original form] i wont throw any rocks today over wanting something as close to original as it can be for period , 

i also shoot cowboy action , SASS , i understand the need for "rules" and such , i am OK with that too , 

all i wanted to hear was that no-one was grinding history from their rifles - or bayonets - or anything else 
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:41pm
I can understand as to what you were most probably thinking A-share-10, as there are those who would actually do such a deplorable thing. I certainly would not stand for any such vandalism taking place.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 3:41pm
thanks , my faith is reafirmed in whom i had determined you to be , i do appreciate the re-enactment activities and the history its intended to preserve and "flesh out" for the consuming public , keep at it , i am will one day hope to be a first hand witness .....
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 9:00am
Ayup chaps....  just had to post here today as I have just secured what I consider as my best deal to date... after my pair of fencing muskets!

My collection of 'Peddled Scheme' SMLE's are as shown below...

1) SSA 1917... without magazine cut-off.

2) SSA 1918... without magazine cut-off.

3) NRF 1918... with magazine cut-off.

I've mentioned this in previous posts...  however... the 'Peddled Scheme' started in early 1916, around the time that the manufacturing modifications to the SMLE No.1 mk.3 were introduced, which resulted in the Mk.3*. The SSA (Standard Small Arms) 1916 version is one of the rarest of the SMLE's (in my opinion). After years of searching, I have not only found that elusive 'SSA-1916', but an SSA-1917 and 1918... both with 'Magazine Cut-off'. I secured the deal there and then for all three! Thumbs Up

Not only have I found an item which has eluded my capture for quite a number of years, but I have effectively doubled my 'Peddled Scheme' collection in one clean swoop.

There is a down-side to my effective coupe....  the owner of my latest additions is away on business till the end of May! Cry

However...  as he is a very good friend of one of my long standing... I'm just going to have to find something to take my mind off the items till he returns! Ermm

I'll post pics as soon as I'm able....

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 12:37pm
Very nice find Sarge. Are they still in fully functioning condition or are they deactivated?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 11:44pm
Deacts unfortunately....  but superb examples of their kind.
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 7:00am
Sarge, for both collectors and shooters, a tragedy.  I can understand how you feel about it.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 5:38pm
a peddeled scheem has been on my list - ive yet to find one that was not mucked about with to the point id not pay the price , maybe one day 
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 11:47pm
To me... being either a live firer or deactivated is of no consequence (although it does sadden me to find them deactivated), as an SMLE, or any Enfield for that matter (in any condition)... is what it is... a piece of weapons history to be preserved. I'll do that to the best of my ability.

Seeing the full range of 'Peddled Scheme' SMLE's together is a real treasure indeed. I only need to acquire two examples in order to achieve that pleasure...
1) SSA 1916... with magazine cut-off.
2) NFA 1918... without magazine cut-off.
fross View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 8:23am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

gorgeous , i do wish my long lee looked so nice , 

ill add my 42 dispersal as long as i had looked it up for another thread : its the one far right -

he!!o A square 10, does this dispersal have a buttstock disc? And do you know what does mean the M letter on the bolt head?

Thanks
Francois
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 6:38pm
no sir , it was made in wwII - no discs in the dispersals , these were made durring the blitz , 
the peddeled scheme rifles are early wwI era rifles - they had discs ,  

and no , i will have to look into the "M" as i do not know the answer to that at this point , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic