Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just signed up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecclectic Collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just signed up
    Posted: March 02 2015 at 7:07am
Dear fellow collectors:

I just wanted to say he!!o and introduce myself.

My name is Andrew and I'm from Pennsylvania (USA).  I've been a fan on vintage arms for many years and especially love British arms.

I've been collecting Enfield rifles and related Brit/Commonwealth arms since the 1980s.  I am no means an expert on the subject though I read widely and am always learning more.

I look forward to sharing information and maybe doing a bit of horse trading with others on the forum.  

Best regards on an icy Monday from Pennsylvania.
Enfields are like chips, can't stop at just one.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 5:38pm
Well, you're welcome here.
Just what part of PA are you in?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 5:51pm
Welcome from North Carolina.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 6:14pm
Welcome from British Columbia! You came to the right place for everything Enfield!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 6:19pm
welcome , thanks for joining us - jump right in , we love photos 
Ecclectic Collector View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecclectic Collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 3:03am
I live in southern PA, about a hour north of Baltimore, Maryland.  Its a nice area.  Lovely rolling hills, and not quite caught up in the massive megalopolis of Boswash.  I'm also an hour east of Gettysburg.  Amongst my many historic oriented hobbies I shoot with N-SSA and an even long time member of a group (Longship Co Ltd) that sails an pretty darn authentic Viking Ship on the Chesapeake.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 4:55pm
yup - photos needed 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 6:39pm
EC: I spent an awful lot of time in the G'Burg area over the years.
Don't like what it has become, tho. Sure has changed..
Hoadie
Ecclectic Collector View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecclectic Collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 3:22am
A square: I'll see how it works with photos.  I have some neat Enfields and Brit service pistols as well...  I'm a Mac user and some forums are hostile to the interface when I try to post images.  We'll have to see what works/doesn't work.

Hoadie: in some ways Gettysburg has improved.  That da** tower was taken down a few years back and the Gettysburg Preservation Society bought a golf course adjoining the battlefield and gave it to the park.  Last fall they also bought the hotel that had surrounded Lee's headquarters in Cemetary ridge and it too will go to the park once the cheap drive in hotel is demolished.  As for the new Park Visitor's center: I have only been in the "free" parts.  I attended the 150th of the Gettysburg Address two Novembers ago.  Well done. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 4:15pm
its been many decades now since i was at gettysburg last , im currently reading a book i borrowed from my friends - "the killer angels" , its a well writen retell - i am enjoying it . 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 5:17pm
The preservation society has been the recipient of a fair bit of my silver over the years.
I highly approve of the work they're doing.
Still tho..the ethnic "invasion" there, taking over all the smaller motels really irked me..especially when we had been staying as a large group for a lot of years @ same place.
Last time I was there (November) *I scooped quite a few acorns from where the 22nd Va. Inf Batt was positioned - cuz I didn't know if I would ever be back. (I still have them..waiting for a suitable place to plant them)
Hoadie
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 5:34pm
a worthy endevor , if my lot were not so thickly wooded id ask for a handful , as it is i have volunteers that i mow over 
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 5:48pm
My next visit to the US I want to visit some battlefields. Gettysburg would be top of my list. Fascinating history.

And of course, welcome Ecclectic collector.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 7:29pm
Well, Homer...even if you didn't know anything about it..even if you were just "dropped" into Gettysburg..you'd KNOW that something huge happened there..you can feel it.
Its documented that the artillery barrage preceeding Pickett's charge, was heard in Harrisburg...90 miles away.
Sadly, the day Gettysburg was lost Vicksburg fell..& along with it pretty much the whole trans-Mississippi defence line.
If Lee hadn't of suffered a stroke in the Wilderness campaign, I think he would have carried Gettysburg.
Hoadie
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 7:38pm
homer , not to tottaly hijack the thread , but you must see manassas - AKA bull run , 

if its even remotely as it was , it is beautiful and well put together , very respectful and i felt presented an impartial view of what occurred there - both times , i visited a lot back when - it left the deepest impression , 

antietam , vicksburg , shilo , fredericksburg , chancellorsville , chickamauga , cold harbor , the wilderness , all worth the visit to get a feel 

and we have not even touched the 'near west' , pea ridge , wilsons creek ,   

or the "far south west" , in texas and new mexico those ive yet to visit 

Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 7:47pm
Thank you gents. Just reading your post gives me goosebumps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic