Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to cull deer with a boot!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to cull deer with a boot!
    Posted: March 02 2015 at 10:35am
I can see I need to tell the tale of culling the nuisance deer, but didn’t want to clutter up a different thread.

I was working in Haslemere, Surrey, but still living in Bristol, about 120 miles away. I was just there part time covering for a guy who’d busted ribs skiing on vacation & needed time off to heal. As a favor the boss let me have every Sat & Mon off so I could go home at weekends. In the week he’d cooked up a deal with this lady locally who had one of those “Agatha Christie Country Murder Mansions” where the butler killed everybody. It had a good sized piece of property & lots of trees, but the introduced deer had become a nuisance as they were breeding in the surrounding wooded rolling hills & hunting was minimal & there were no natural predators.

A local guy (who I think was lusting after her) was a hunter & he’d come up whenever he could to do a cull as they were ringing the trees & killing them & rooting in the garbage cans. There was a tale (I don’t know if it’s true or not) that if you killed a deer & dragged the skin round the edge of the property no deer would cross the scent line, so that was the plan. Unfortunately for him the deer weren’t being co-operative & weren’t there when he was.

I got permission to hunt them as nuisance animals, but my FAC wasn’t good for Surrey, just Avon & Somerset, but I could get a shotgun permit, so I did & borrowed a 12-gauge from the estate as her late husband had been a shotgun shooter. Talk about dying & gong to heaven! The “gun room” was all glass & oak with shotties everywhere & a snooker (billiards for idiots) table in the middle.

I picked a nice side-by-side with a cylinder bore & got a box of solid slugs. I’d never seen all brass 12-gauge she!!s before, really impressive with the big grey ball peeking out from that huge brass case! The unloaded, broken open gun rested against a side table adjacent to the window & 2 she!!s were on the table top.

I stalked that property for days, but wasn’t able to even find a deer. Eventually I took a night off & left the shotgun In the “gun room” 3 floors down & at the opposite end of the house & guess what?

Yup! The little antlered rodent was kicking the metal garbage can about, rooting for snacks, making a heck of a noise & mess just below & off to the side of the window. I was so mad I took my heavy, steel shod thick leather motorcycle trials boot that weighed probably 4 pounds & hurled it at him as hard as I could.

I went down in the morning to retrieve the expensive boot, assuming I’d scared him off & there he was dead as a doornail!

When we butchered him it turned out I’d broken his neck with the metal heel plate & killed him. We ate venison & even made a real “Umble Pie” from the organs & so on because there was virtually zero meat damage!

Sick

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 11:08am
I thinking it was the smell the eminating boot that did it.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 11:45am
Possibly!Evil Smile
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 12:49pm
A great way to get a deer.

I am envious.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 5:50pm
Shown off..
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 5:57pm
Yea, a lot better than my Son, He hits them with his truck !!! LOL!!!!  Year before last he hit one , we put that one in the freezer...then his buddy got one behind the house so we got half that one ...then the kid next door needed help cleaning his and I got some of that one !!!  Never even made a decent hunt and got deer in the freezer ..this season only got half a deer from Boogies Buddy hunting in the back .... But hey ya cant complain if ya dont have to clean it !! or drag it out the swamp !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 5:58pm
I hit a deer with the blade on my snow plow when I lived in Connecticut.

It was only got half a deer never found the front half.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 5:00am
EWWWWW!Shocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 7:28am
Yes it was road kill but it was warm and free.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 2:31pm
And to think you also didn't have to use up a .303 round! Awesome!Something like what the indigenous peoples of North America used to do by running herds of buffalo over a cliff...narry an arrow used for that. Great story, Shamu!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 6:41pm
Whats the name of that place Canuck???.."Head smashed in Buffalo jump"? or something like that
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 6:54pm
Yah, I'd have to look that up but it does sound very familiar.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 6:58pm
Here's what I found..Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump World Heritage Site. Link wouldn't paste for some reason, probably me and my lack of pooter skills.It's on Google.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 6:03am
Hows this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-Smashed-In_Buffalo_Jump
Different link to the same place.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic