Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Lithgow Enfield No. 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68rs327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 3:30pm
No oiler in stock cavity....
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 3:34pm
III * means No 1 Mk 3 star as opposed to the Mk III. The Mk III* had the mag cutoff and volley sight deleted.
Good luck finding out where and who used the rifle. There are no such records as far as I am aware.
68rs327 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68rs327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 3:57pm
Thanks, Someone on another site told me I could tell what unit the rifle was assigned to by the markings on the rifle..... They must have been mistaken.
Looks like most the markings are serial numbers and inspector marks. No real interesting history by any of the marking so far. I love the gun, it's well worn by someone during it's life. I would imagine it seen action in WW2 from the wear. Do you think Century Arms purchased the rifle from the Australian Government or did Australia sell the rifle to another country and the other country sell to Century?
I just can't imagine Australia selling guns to Century Arms?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 4:32am
If there is a brass quarter sized disc inletted into the stock that might give you the last & previous unit of issue as they were coded on one, or both sides for many rifles. If the disc is gone, or wasn't fitted there's nothing else that would refer to a unit. All the other marks were from armorers or factories.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 6:40pm
thanks shamu , i could not have said it so sesinctly - i would have useed way too many words and probably have confused the issue futher in trying to clarify ..............     :>}
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic