Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asking for your 2 cents (Pic Heavy)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnd0003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asking for your 2 cents (Pic Heavy)
    Posted: March 09 2015 at 6:27pm
Hey guys I got this rifle a month or two ago and have been going crazy ever since. The rifle is 1915 RSAF mkIII no star. Serial numbers on receiver, barrel , bolt, nose cap, rear sight, and forestock match. None appear to be forced. The rifle does not have volleys nor does the rear sight have the windage adjustment, but it does have the cutoff. This rifle is covered in proof marks and appears to have been re-barrelled several times. You can see in the pictures its got 16,17,41, and 47. If these numbers mean something else please correct me. You can see that the rifle was at some point and time wire rapped, and there appears to be a plug where a ishy screw was or still is. But I do not see anything that appears to be Indian proofs or markings. Please help, I am trying to figure out where this rifle has been in its history. Someone has mentioned to me that it may have been in Australia because of the markings on the buttstock. The markings on the buttstock are biggest mystery to me. Did the Brits wire rap their grenade firing rifles? If they did, did they put a reinforcing bolt through the forestock or is that just in India?

[URL=http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/Nick_Dorman/media/IMG_0197_zpskbd3f4ch.jpg.html][/URL

Can Some one please tell me what the star means. (Rusty bore)

Anyone seen these before?

Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 8:34am
Welcome to the forum 'rnd003'.

Firstly, the inherent reading of the various markings you show in connection to the SMLE's history are quite straight forward. There is only one marking which baffles me...  but i'll put that forward shortly.

Second...  yes... the butt-stock at least does show Australian service, so I'm sure that one of our chaps from that part of the world will decipher the markings for you.

Lastly...  could you please post a few clearer pics in location for the dates you mention, as doing so would give a fuller explanation as to what they refer to? Rather than give you a fragmented outlay, I would rather post a complete picture as possible.
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 3:29pm
ill add that many were taken from mkIII toward mkIII* and back in those years , its hard from the photos to be certain in any event , 

it does indeed show the tell tale marks of a wire wrap- do realise some were not wrapped in wire but rather fitted with a girdle for lack of better words or sheet metal and binders , that might explain the lack of wrapping rings the wire would produce , 

i tend to think india always when i see the cross bolt in the forestock 
rnd0003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnd0003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 5:05pm
Sorry for the bad pictures, I'm trying to make due with an iPhone. Ive have taken some more hopefully these will help if you need something else let me know thanks for the help.

In this pic you can see the 47 and 41.

In this pic you can see the 16

In this pic you can see the 17 along with various other markings I think are proof marks, from which factory I'm not sure.

maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 11:15pm
Looks like Indian grenade firing rifle to me, with bindings removed.

Would question that the markings on the butt are Australian.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic