Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - not a state fair type guy - instead we do the ...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

not a state fair type guy - instead we do the ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: not a state fair type guy - instead we do the ...
    Posted: August 29 2015 at 7:34pm
renessance festival , both occur here in the same time period , the fair is shorter and it would be possible to do both if so inclined , the latter offers something new each week , 

in general i hate crowds , there are certain instances when i will tolerate them , often under protest - yet im a people watcher , i enjoy walking and siting in the right venue and just watching folks do their thing [some speculation involved and mostly just observation ] so im not a state fair type guy , it gives me the creeps to hang out with carney's and food vendors that want to clog my arteries with stuff my body screams "do not eat" , with lots of not so friendly rude folks i cannot relate to , and i hate rides ....

so - going to the renaissance festival instead because these folks are all there to have fun , actors and actresses doing their thing are great at this venue as well as the crafts folks [artisans ] that will actually custom make things the day your there and demonstrate the techniques they employ , lots of folks visit in costume but its not required , i enjoy walking about with friends looking at the great crafts , seeing a comedy show or a medieval vintage performance , watching a craftsman blow glass-tool leather-work iron-craft jewelry-throw pottery , im thinking about a hand made leather belt this year , 

.......and of course there is all the cleavage and nymphs and belly dancers and beer, 

..........if ya gotta be in a crowd that is the combination i prefer , wenching and drinking beer and smoking cigars while walking in a very natural if not slightly exotic/primitive setting , with the occasional great looking woman in scantily clad condition , 

OH , and the food is great as well - but not everything is deep fried or 'on a stick' like the fairs , much is traditional smoked on site like the turkey legs or period correct like the mead , seems like the food is healthier even if its not and i enjoy what we get - bread bowl broccoli beer cheese soup , spinach pie , grilled meats ...........not on a stick , and all those beers , wines and mead , 

.........and this weekend is belly dancer themed - supposed to be warm , slightly humid , beautiful day , great for watching girls me thinks , only thing better might be adding guns - but they were not really invented at that point so gatta settle for all those blades of the period ,

did i mention watching girls ......................??????
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 9:00pm
You might have, A square.

Remember though, without photos, it didn't happen!  :-)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 6:05am
I have to start coming to your renaissance faires, round here the females wear something one small step away from a burquah!Shocked

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 7:21am
It is more fun to go to a goth fair. More skin and all grilled food.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 7:57am
Never found one! Spill yer guts, where?Tongue
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 8:05am
I think you have to be a member of a goth group to go to them. My son goes to them and as he does not drive I take him.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 7:46pm
So, if it goes quiet around here, everyone is away Googling Goth Fair eh?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 7:12am
I'm more into the whole "SteamPunk" thing myself.
(Wild, Wild west", "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", "Warehouse 13" & so on.)
http://brosome.com/40-sexy-photos-of-hotties-who-love-steampunk/
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 6:29pm
I've never been to the Renaissance Fair over in MN but my sister has gone several times. She always tells me to go and see the belly dancers. Said it is very fun to watch. Take some pictures, A_square! Or draw a sketch or something!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 8:52pm
im sorry - no photos - most would get me in trouble with the wife me thinks - but there was some scenery that was wonderful , folks at work are thinking they want to fit me with bodycam next time i go , told them they would see lots of T&A - im a people watcher , and i do have a type that i watch mostly , there are lots to watch ...

i first went in 1982 - it was just over 10 years old , and it already had a cult following , much like the rocky horror show of those times but much less restrictive , ive been there off and on over the years but more so recently - even then its been a couple years since ive gone now , glad i went , 

the majority of iron work is chain mail and swords/knives but there is some cookware and such , lots of fine jewelry , sorry ed guns were not really around in medieval times .....
the glass blowing guy does some marvelous work , 
the leather shops cater to renaissance types and steampunk , but there are buys to be had , some absolutely fantastic pottery and jewelry , 

we sat in on the 'fire show' juggling burning things- lots of burning things , no one got burned but the spitting fire was impressive , and a belly dancer show-nice girls , they are all in college out east in theatrical schools , amazing how white their skin was ,,must never get out in the sun , there were a few out and about that should not have shown so much belly or anything else , i hope the exercise helped - doubt it tho ..............we went to a knife throwing show that was exceptional and involved axes and throwing stars and nun-chucks and such , 

the forest nymphs made up for them , cute little things dressed in gauzy green outfits with wings and what i have to believe are cosmetically enhanced pointy ears that look real right up close - well i did not get "that" close - most are young enough to be grandkids i think , flit about spreading smiles , 

the food shops specialize in all sorts of interesting things but NOT the fair food of deep fried and on-a-stick , sche!!es brewery is well represented as are many others - i like beer 

we [a group of strangers] and my friends did a "pub crawl" sampling different beers with varying entertainment at each venue , some of it was quite 'blue' - actually very fun tho , these are true thespians in a totally wild atmosphere of nearly everything goes , the pirate and his wench that were are "crawl leaders" were really married in real life and were wonderful , a bit raunchy but fun , during one of her rather blue songs , that she involved me in , i had her doubled over in laughter with my comments - not that i was any more witty than they but she did not expect what i said , i got a big kiss on the cheek when she finished , and she made it a point to talk to us after as did he , the actors put a lot into their performances and you seldom can find them unwilling to jump into any occasion that might spontaneously pop up , 

i and my friends enjoy people watching and there is most anything you can imagine on the premises at all times , there are old and very young - lots of strollers with tiny kids as well as some slung in those pouches the yuppies wear , there are gangstas and their gals looking out of place , although the folks with visible tattoos out number those of us without , there were - all ages and genders - including the gender confused ....one is a repeat appearance that sortsa raises the hair on the back of my neck every time i get in the same vicinity - guns are banned , so i often feel defenceless , 

an ample amount of busty women in scanty clothing and bustiers , and young fine looking [im so going to he!! ] butts , and folks with their pets that are great animals to pet - all were spoiled , but what i like most is everyone had a smile on their face , i never heard a cross word , never saw an obnoxious drunk , whenever you engaged someone they would join the conversation willingly and enthusiastically , young and old were all happy to be there and as we left we were encouraged to return - it runs eight weeks and this was the second , i might go back if everything falls into place , with everything - ticket in , our pub crawl , the tips to the performers and minstrels i spent a little over $100 but i had my share of beer - i like beer 

the only drawback was the bees , they like the mead - honey wine , and beer , the ladies perfumes and the food - they liked everything , pests , particularly for those allergic to stings , hard to belive they are endangered 

oh - and i missed my cute little nurse [who works at a local hospital] that i have had occasion to visit with the last few times ive visited the festival , like most there so full of enthusiasm and she has great costume sense too , shes a knockout - if only i was a young man , she looks like andie mcdowell from the movie ground hog day , absolutely beautiful young lady , she generally takes her vacation and works the festival every year , we shared a table at a beer tasting a number of years ago and i enjoy her a lot , hope she is OK , a lot of the folks that are working the festival are repeaters , they make it their life during its 8 week run , dont think i could do it , but i admire those that do for their dedication , 

anyway - would be a fun weekend visit for those that might care to indulge , 
http://www.startribune.com/gallery-renaissance-festival/323379141/#3
http://www.renaissancefest.com/
http://www.citypages.com/arts/dos-and-donts-of-the-minnesota-renaissance-festival-6579357

need to go - there is a possible change in the works - 

http://www.startribune.com/nearby-mine-chips-away-at-renaissance-festival-s-magic/275223571/
Frenchieboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenchieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 3:20am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

renessance festival , both occur here in the same time period , the fair is shorter and it would be possible to do both if so inclined , the latter offers something new each week , 

in general i hate crowds , there are certain instances when i will tolerate them , often under protest - yet im a people watcher , i enjoy walking and siting in the right venue and just watching folks do their thing [some speculation involved and mostly just observation ] so im not a state fair type guy , it gives me the creeps to hang out with carney's and food vendors that want to clog my arteries with stuff my body screams "do not eat" , with lots of not so friendly rude folks i cannot relate to , and i hate rides ....

so - going to the renaissance festival instead because these folks are all there to have fun , actors and actresses doing their thing are great at this venue as well as the crafts folks [artisans ] that will actually custom make things the day your there and demonstrate the techniques they employ , lots of folks visit in costume but its not required , i enjoy walking about with friends looking at the great crafts , seeing a comedy show or a medieval vintage performance , watching a craftsman blow glass-tool leather-work iron-craft jewelry-throw pottery , im thinking about a hand made leather belt this year , 

.......and of course there is all the cleavage and nymphs and belly dancers and beer, 

..........if ya gotta be in a crowd that is the combination i prefer , wenching and drinking beer and smoking cigars while walking in a very natural if not slightly exotic/primitive setting , with the occasional great looking woman in scantily clad condition , 

OH , and the food is great as well - but not everything is deep fried or 'on a stick' like the fairs , much is traditional smoked on site like the turkey legs or period correct like the mead , seems like the food is healthier even if its not and i enjoy what we get - bread bowl broccoli beer cheese soup , spinach pie , grilled meats ...........not on a stick , and all those beers , wines and mead , 

.........and this weekend is belly dancer themed - supposed to be warm , slightly humid , beautiful day , great for watching girls me thinks , only thing better might be adding guns - but they were not really invented at that point so gatta settle for all those blades of the period ,

did i mention watching girls ......................??????
I think you made a small mention about the girls!LOL However this thread is totally useless without photos (that you have taken yourself) of the aforementioned girls.Wink
p.s. And never mind what the wife says, you're a man(?),  you should be wearing the trousers!LOL
Wounding is not an option!
sjuhockey10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjuhockey10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 6:34pm
Haven't been for years, but yes, the "people watching" is always first rate
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic