Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WWII Jerrycan!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WWII Jerrycan!
    Posted: April 11 2016 at 1:27pm
On sunday we went to a brocante in a nearby village. (A brocante is like a yard sale but the whole community is out selling stuff).
I've alway's got my eye out for odd bit's an pieces of military stuff; and yesterday I found a British jerry can with W^D 1943 made by BMB (Brookes Motor Bodies). It is in good condition with only some light surface rust in the very top end of the can; the main inner area is rust free, so still useable. Paint looks incorrect; but for the price (10 Euros) I'm not complaining! 

I also found a US bayonet, but on closer inspection I thought it wasn't good enough quality to be the real deal. The seller said it was made by Kiffe Japan after the war; turns out it was about 20 years after the war when I looked it up. A couple of other bayonets but nothing that really stood out as quality!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 1:50pm
That's a pretty cool find, Zed. Thumbs Up
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 2:46pm
Cool Find !!!!  I got an old one I brought back from Ft. Stewart !! its under the shed , got put there some years ago after it started leaking ...\

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 4:38pm
nice can , i like that a lot , good call on the bayonet 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 9:15pm
yep! I like nice cans..
Whyzit everybody else seems to get these bargoons? I must live in a place no - one has heard of, or sumpin
Loose wimmen tightened here
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 10:49pm
I like nice cans too.....
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 6:42am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

yep! I like nice cans..
Whyzit everybody else seems to get these bargoons? I must live in a place no - one has heard of, or sumpin

Dont feel bad Hoadie , we have no flea markets hear worth a damn !! the Pawn Shop in Thib. thinks everything that he took in for pawn must get 20% more than actual retail ... no matter how old it is !!! 
The yard sales and garage sales around here are getting far and few in between ..... and are a hit and miss as I am sure they are in all areas ...I really need to go hit them more often , found some pistol grips at the last one I went to ....and Lisa found some ammo boxes at on some time ago !!! so its not to shabby , its just getting up early on the right days to make the yard sales and garage sales !!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 9:17am
I try to go to yards sales when I find the time but it is hard to find military items.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 12:24pm
In France there's a lot of old artillery she!! cases which seem to be regular items in brocantes.  They are useful for keeping the tong's and pokers in for the fireplace. (at least that's what the we use them for)
I saw a 1913 dated case on Sunday, so I bet that was probably shot in the very early part of WWI. I have a nice pair of WWI cases already so didn't ask the price. Picked up my 1907 bayonet from a local sale as well. It was actually my wife that found a guy with a box of bayonets. Unfortunately I only had enough cash to buy one and at that time, I was much less aware of what to look for. Must have been at least 30 in the box, mainly British.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 6:24pm
these days i only get to see nice cans - no touching involved , im sad 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic