Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Fathers Birthday ! May 25th

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Fathers Birthday ! May 25th
    Posted: May 26 2016 at 12:12pm
May 25th would have been my Fathers 90th birthday .... My Brother and Sister posted a picture of him on FB, So I thought I would share it with you guys .
Wish I would have had more time to sit and talk with him when he was alive .... but y'all know how life is !  not enough time when you need it , then all the time you need when you dont need it !!
I think this was taken during the occupation of Japan ....

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 1:08pm
That's a great photo Rhino! Definitely one to cherish. Raise a glass to your Dad!

I think we all wish we could have more time with those we have lost; that is why we need to make sure we spend time listening and talking to our little ones; to ensure they have good memories when we have passed on.

Zed.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 1:14pm
Thanks for sharing, Rhino.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 2:12pm
There's never enough time, no matter how much you had.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 8:47pm
dittos what shamu said - make every moment count , there are so few of them that you can count on , 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 9:33pm
Fantastic picture, Rhino! Thank you so much for sharing that with us! Cheers to your dad!
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 10:37pm
What my Sister wrote:
 Yesterday, on May 25th, Dad would have turned 90 years old. This photo is from 1945, Japan, during the Occupation period. He would have been all of nineteen years old. He signed up for the Marines just before his 18th birthday and, after a very short Boot Camp, was sent to the Pacific Theater. He never talked much about it, unless a documentary or old movie was on. He saw Saipan, Okinawa and Iwo Jima, among other places. That's just the ones I remember him mentioning. Thinking of you, Dad (Leon Wyckoff). First Battalion, Second Marines, Second Marine Division, Fleet Marine Force, In The Field. We have so few photos of my Dad, and this is one of the few.

As for me , this is what if any I know about my Dad... other than what I was able to get out of him when we talked on the phone .... I know some things he told me that I dont think Im at liberty to talk about ...or want to ... But just wish I had more time with him before the end ....I dont know , guess Im just stressing on time lost right now ...
Just want to thank you guys for being here for me !! I know there were things him and I talked about that we both went through that I never talked about with any one else, even guys I served with... Man I would love to sit and talk with him today and ask how he did it all those years with no one to talk with ... OK im drunk right now  and need to get my self together and go to bed .. Y'all help me keep it together, Love you guys !!
I want to thank you all for being here !! I know I have my demons as my Dad called them.... But I have buddies with bigger ones than I have ...
amazing how some hard liquor makes you recall stuff from the past ! Maybe thats why I dont drink the stuff that often !! But hey when you run out of beer its whats in the pantry ....
Thanks for letting me rant any how ...
Dont worry guys, Im not about to do any thing stupid ... just ranting here ...and just having some deep thoughts , thinking of what was and what could have been.. some of what I had no control other than a trigger in the out come .. but never the less.. its not all my fault as talking with a few of my Buds and finding out their out come !!
Things could be worse for me . I could have guilt feelings like a couple of my Buds ...I have dealt with both of them , one worse than the other ... but still its one Man Vs. the other you have to deal with ...and no one is the same !.. as I am not the same as my Father or my Buds !!!  but Im still human, and to deal with them and my self ... its hard and takes all I got ...No one will ever understand  what Im talking about unless they have been there ..............

Only thing I can say for my my Dad is that My Name comes from an officer he served with in the South Pacific , Krestan ..He was an officer he looked up to , a Major from what he told me.  No more or no less, he didnt go any further than that ! , No explanation other than he liked this officer and thats why I got this name !

So good night and good fortune !! For no one needs to go through what I have , and no one needs to seek what I have seen or felt !! or any one who has served !! You dont need these nights when you have it all come back for no reason other than a sound ~a smell, a date,a song ...oh I could go on !!  Time for another drink and some time alone !!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 9:39am
My Father was a Corpsman during that time as your Father servied.

They are up in heaven drinking vat69.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic