Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Enfield- SCESKE markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evin264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Enfield- SCESKE markings
    Posted: November 09 2016 at 2:45am
I've tried to look this receiver mark up, but have hit a wall.  Anyone have any idea what this marking means?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2016 at 7:26pm
a lot of these were "given" as support to third world countries - colonies - allies and so forth , im not sure what that is but someone will give you an answer as we have some great folks here , 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2016 at 8:50pm
Do you have the rifle in your hands? If so, a full length picture may be helpful in some aspects. Otherwise it's anyone's guess.
evin264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evin264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2016 at 10:17pm
Here are a few more pics. 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2016 at 8:27am
There really isn't anything else that points to a place it was at so it's really anyone's guess as to what those markings may mean.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2016 at 8:40am
That magazine is from a #1/MK3 rifle. I like the wood grain on the butt stock too. No idea what those marking signify, probably no way of ever knowing either. Actually, the butt stock isn't all the way into the socket, it really should be tightened up before firing the rifle. Just de-cock the rifle and enjoy it for it's history.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
evin264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evin264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2016 at 9:02am
The stock feels tight, but I'm going to see if my gunsmith can tighten it up. I have to replace the front sight since it looks like someone tried to drift it over w/ a battle axe. Probably the biggest concern that I have is that there isn't any markings on the metal band under the bolt handle....arsenal stamps.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2016 at 9:38am
Good catch with the mag, I missed that.
You should check that out as the No1 & No4 mags aren't really interchangeable. You can jam em in, but they don't fit unless they've been modified to actually lock in place.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 1:08pm
It was the No.1 rifles that carried a royal cypher and manufacturer/date/model on the wrist under the bolt handle. The No.4 had the info in simpler form on the left receiver wall.

The markings on top of the receiver ring COULD be Indian. I say that because post independence India refurbs sometimes carry a marking that is an inverted triangle with the right side extended upwards to make a kind of closed triangle check mark. 

That is what it looks like to me, the check mark triangle overstruck a couple or three times on top of some text stamping. Maybe to cancel the text and obliterate it? It seems to have worked!

The buttstock is supposed to have a clearance gap between the shoulder on the wood and the back of the receiver ring. It prevents the wrist from chipping out due to the recoil pounding from the butt socket edge. Usually a small gap of 1/16 inch max. Yours just might have been done in an hurry, a bit excessive, but a gap is correct.
If the end of the wrist tenon bottoms out in the socket and fits tight (it has a slight taper) with no wobble, then you are good to go, just not pretty.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 1:34pm
Right on, 1/16". I strive for that dimension with every #4 rifle I work on.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 4:15am
If you are taking it to a gunsmith, get them to check the bolt lug fit and headspace.
 It appears that the bolt serial number is not the same as the receiver. At least that's what I see in the photos.
The bolt fit is very important for proper function and safety. If a used bolt was professionally fitted, I would expect that it would be re-numbered. It may well be ok, but better to confirm before firing in my opinion.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic