Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unissued Savage?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unissued Savage?
    Posted: October 03 2017 at 10:23pm
I decided to clean up my No4 MkI* today. In taking the furniture off I noticed a lack of stamps,anywhere on the rifle. I found,at the muzzle, 303 US B. On the left side of the receiver US PROPERTY, No4 MkI*, Flaming Bomb. Butt socket 86C**** with the B under that. Nothing else,not even a date. All the individual parts have the S inside the square, including the furniture. I looked down the barrel and noticed that,it looks unused. The lands are sharp. The chamber shows no signs of wear,and the bolt head face has no wear either. I checked the head space with a no-go gauge,it didn't close. The barrel and receiver itself look brand new. I need to add that when I found this rifle,the original stock had been ruined by a fire. I found an unissued stock set with the Savage stamps. The original owner stated he had it since the late forties and never fired it. Does it appear that I have an actual, unissued, Savage No4 ?
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 11:36am
If it is marked "US PROPERTY" then I assume it is a lend lease rifle. Therefore probably would have been issued.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 1:04pm
It is a Lend Lease but,it doesn't have any telltale signs that it has ever been used. The barrel and receiver look just like it came out of the factory.
The serial number puts it way up there in the 860,000's off the line so,one would assume. I've never seen one in this nice of condition though,and the lack of any other stampings make me wonder as to if,this never saw combat...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 1:50pm
Many rifles were refurbished in India & most of them were "scrubbed" of all earlier markings. Does it have any clues pointing to an Indian FTR such as the "Ishy Screw" through the stock sideways in front of the magazine?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 2:03pm
No it didn't have that screw. The original owner of it had a small fire and the original furniture was not repairable. When I asked him about the history of the rifle,he explained that he purchased it from some surplus place in the late forties. He never stated if it was still in wrap and I never asked him. To answer you about it being scrubbed. No,I can definitely tell that nobody has FTR'd this rifle. It definitely has the original serial number.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 2:09pm
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 11:22am
Was that rear sight standard on the No4 Mk1* ?
Also remeber that not all rifles were front line use. Not everyone got to shoot it out; some may have been guard duty etc.
When you say there is a lack of marking's; which type ones are you referring to? A lot of the regular stamps are just inspection mark's during production; then some civilian proof stamps when sold out of service. If this rifle was brought back by alternative channel's, it may not have the sold out of service stamps and proof's. As is the case with my French Resistance rifle.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 1:07pm
The rear sight is Savage. As far as inspection marks? There are none. It just has the serial number,the square S followed by No4 MkI*, and the flaming bomb.
The only thing stamped on the barrel at the muzzle is
.303 US B.
This rifle has not been scrubbed,that I can tell.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 1:21pm
Rifles have different service histories.  One rifle may have been throught months of combat in a harsh climate another could have spent the war in a base armory
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 2:19pm
Well how about some pics of the barrel knox from the top and the bottom of the barrel, as well as the wrist band and in where the bolt goes into the reveiver. Best way to tell if its unused ( not unissued) is post pics of wear places to see if there are rub lines. Like at the mag feed lips, the feed ramp on the receiver, also post pic of the extractor and bolt face. Then there is the bolt itself, the back of the locking lugs also wear the length of it. Check sround the safety switch where that rubs. The sides of the rear sight for slide marks.

Issued or not it would have the same markings on it just from the assembly process.
It may be UNUSED but probably issued and then stored. Ir its a parts build from actual unissued parts. But they would still have inspector marks on them
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 11:10pm

No stamps or inspectors marks.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 11:19pm

Forgot this side.

I know for certain that this rifle has not been,"scrubbed". The barrel is a two groove barrel and does have at the muzzle, 303B US.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 3:14am
wow. That looks awfully clean (stamp-wise speaking)
Loose wimmen tightened here
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 8:24am
Like the man said we are not trying do down grade your rifle.

You still need to show the left side of the wrist socket.

That Rifle did not leave Massachusetts with that barrel on it.

Cheers
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 8:50am
The left side just has the serial number.
86C2***, and under that is a B,nothing else.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 8:59am
A lot of the Mk1*s had the 2 position flip, but I think they used up any Singers they had available first as mine from '43 was also a savage-marked singer.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic