Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VIMY Commerative $2 coin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 2:08am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

How do you figure out which way to display it without the leaf?Wacko

With the writing the right side up...Wink
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 2:10am
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

Stanforth, I would like to purchase one of those Passchendaele lapel badges. Especially if it's for the Poppy appeal.
Don't get much chance to buy a Poppy each year in France! so it would be nice. Please PM me details of where to send funds etc and what you believe to be a correct donation.
Thanks, Zed.

E-mail me
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 5:27am
WOW!! Thanks Stanforth!

PM on the way.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 5:16am
Written by Canadian Doctor, Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae. Colonel McRea was himself a casualty, he died of gas poisoning contracted from the casualties that he tended.

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary then nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning.
We shall remember them.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 12:51pm
Tyne Cot cemetry, near Ypres.
Just one of the many!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 5:59pm
Last year a number of folks from our Legion Branch went over. The pics of what they saw was ASTOUNDING. The number of graves is beyond belief!!
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 3:46am
The graves are for the bodies recovered. There are lists for the 'missing' and  many of the fallen were swallowed up by the swamp that was the battlefield.
For what? OK we took Passcendaele but only held it for a few months until the German Spring Offensive.

Lions led by donkeys.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 6:10pm
I've never been able to wrap my mind around the "leaders" of the allied armies during that period. Its like the masses that were being slaughtered didn't matter a bit.
(I guess if you aint the one in harm's way...)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 8:15pm
it was to be the 'war to end war' , obviously misscalculated in hindsight but i think there were those that truly thought it so , so many dead that might have contributed greatly , i dont think those in the second had such grand illussions , more intent on winning and moving forward , 
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 1:48am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

I've never been able to wrap my mind around the "leaders" of the allied armies during that period. Its like the masses that were being slaughtered didn't matter a bit.
(I guess if you aint the one in harm's way...)

In ancient times leaders of armies (usually Kings) led from the front, often on horseback, and in full view.

Even as late as Waterloo (1815) Wellington was on the battlefield. In fact Uxbridge, the guy next to him, had his leg shot off.

In WW1 the leaders were in total luxury in plush offices many miles away and totally unaware of reality.
Their main adversaries were the ambitious officers just below them in seniority. 
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2017 at 5:54am
Hoadie
Have you received the badge(s) I sent yet?
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2017 at 1:26pm
Yes Stanforth, I have!
..and I am proudly wearing them!
Many thanks again.
(They sure are tiny..have to really look at them to make 'em out)
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 1:31am
An understatement is often the strongest statement.
The small size also allows you to wear a collection of them.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 5:35pm
its not the size - it is what they stand for and who they represent , hopefully someone will ask so you can explain , we need to remember in these days of wiping out our history to please a few that are not happy with their lot in life , 

they too could find something to be proud of and work to remember rather than denigrate and eradicate the truth , if they chose to find a positive approach , many of us might get on board with that , but erasing one culture to prop up another in history will never solve the worlds problems , 

ill fly the "stars and bars" till i die just to spite those that would steal our history , 

these remembrances are vitally important to keep alive the sacrifices of all those that served and those that died in the 'great war' we need to remember , every year that we live , lest history forget 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic