Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

drilling and tapping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve-o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: drilling and tapping
    Posted: October 16 2017 at 2:18pm
Has anyone mounted the Williams 5d-smle sight on their rifle? What is the thread size to tap the receiver? Previous owner did a great job of removing anything and everything a rear sight could be mounted to, so this is my replacement, but nothing I have read says what size tap to use. Thanks!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 4:10am
SMLE rifles used enfield threads that are specific to them; and therefore tap's are unobtainable.
 The later No4 rifles are mainly BA (British Association) threads which are still available, as are screws and bolts etc in BA threads.
If you are adding a target sight and need to drill; it's up to you what size you choose. Just be careful where you drill.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
steve-o View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve-o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 5:57am
Thanks. It does have to be drilled and the sight came with the mounting hardware, but it doesn't tell me what the thread size is on those bolts. I thought I had heard that the common gunsmith sight mount tap size is 6-48 but I was hoping someone could confirm that for me.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 11:08am
You could check at Lowes or Home Depot! They have thread checkers there in the hardware department.
Wink

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 11:45am
If you have screws then you need to find out exactly what you have. The TPI (threads per inch) and diameter to start with; but also remember that some thread patterns can have similar dimensions but different angles of pitch. A good thread gauge and vernier caliper or micrometer; plus a set of "Zeus" tables.
(They are an engineer's booklet that lists thread dimensions, drill sizes required etc). Are all very useful when trying to identify a thread. (Although the older SMLE type threads will not be listed). I have my set of "Zeus" tables since 1979, still use them occasionally. Probably find the info on the web somewhere now though!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 5:15pm
i always trust my gunsmith with this - im not so handy and lack the precission tools these days , i know this does not help with your OP but it is food for thought , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic