Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member keen to own

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 1:08pm
This is all sounding very familiar when looking for the Brown Bess, although it does appear that Enfield upgrades and the like may be more genuine in their installation rather than the deliberate fake/composites of the BB.
That is all very interesting information, and is very welcome. I have yet to hear from the vendor. If and when I do, I will be sure to take many a photo as I am sure to come across as a total novice and therefore prone to a fleecing. I do like the idea of the magazine cut off which as I understand is on the No. 1 Mk 111 and not the Mk 111*. Wouldn't this mark also have the long range sight, or does that pre date this model. There are some interesting videos on the net, but I'm in danger of info overload at the moment. I need to see one in the flesh and then be able to make a better judgement and know what I am looking at. I am surprised at how poor the photos are and the general lack pf information, but that may be par for the course. I'm still too new to the game to really know.

The bolts and barrel serial number I get, the action is the part the bolt locates in? Yes? I suppose the ideal would be for me to find someone local who is knowledgeable and can show me the method of dismantling to check the numbers without the pressure of having a potential purchase. Does the FTR have varied locations, as you seem to imply? Serial numbers being alpha numeric or?

Prices in the UK  seem to be between about £500 and £1000 depending on date etc., with WW1 ones being around £700. A similar price to my Snider and considerably less than a BB.

It's all part of adding to my database on Enfields.
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 1:14pm
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 4:13pm
Et tu, Shamu??
"GUN"
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 5:12am
MATRON!
Hoadie's off 'is meds again!
Clown
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 5:21am
That's on the surface a nicer rifle, but its a London Small Arms (LSA CoLd), not a BSA if that matters. Later dates might be an FTR or just a simpler rebuild. Many of these rifles had  a hard life & various levels of repair are common. FWIW the stock unit identification washer (disc) has been removed & replaced with a wood plug, that may indicate a 1913 rifle worked on in 1916. It has the early cocking piece, but the "fingers" are missing from the handguards.

In answer to your earlier question both "FTR" & "DP" stamps should be on the metal (either barrel or receiver, depending on date) as DP'd stocks may have been used to refurbish otherwise sound rifles.

Magazine cut off is a personal preference, they were fitted, deleted, refitted & deleted again as time went on. Single shot platform is nice, but some who use the L-E bolt like a Mauser with the palm of the hand have been "bitten" by the open plate!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 11:41am
I did recognise the mark as being the London Small Arms from the research I have done. My other half is keen to buy me the Skennerton Book Lee Enfield a Century of etc. etc. book as that seems to be recommended. It's expensive but if a good buy then I will get a copy.
The advert I sent doesn't have the cartridge cut off or long range sight so would this technically be a Mk111* although starting life as a Mk111?
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 12:36pm
Oh god there are loads of them.
A BSA but if dated 1916 is it still likely to have seen WW1 service.
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 12:52pm

Shamu, do you think this one is worth a look? It's about an hour from me.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by sc-em sc-em wrote:

Shamu, do you think this one is worth a look? It's about an hour from me.

Wha Happened, it went away?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 5:16pm
on the post above , he posted twice , its a nice mkIII* with the earlier forestock blank , ready for the voley dial but not milled in , and ready for cutoff - not installed , it looks al there , correct and in good nick to me 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 5:35am
OK got it, thanks.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 6:33am
he!!o Sc-em,

I can't see anything wrong with the above rifle, but can't read what is says on the knox form.

For a shooter you'd have to find out what bore is like.
My idea is that you should get one you could use, as a deactivated may be frustrating in the end.
It'd mean safe storage, but you could let it out to play whenever you are home.  :-)

Is it Mark who is looking for a BB for you?  If so, he is the right lad!  I've found Mark the odd one at auction.

Good luck in your endeavour and keep us posted!
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 12:03pm
Yes, it is Mark. He is certainly a top chap and I have just sent him two more to look at from the guy  I got my Snider off. One is supposed to be a Ketland, the other looks like an early Windus pattern but the photos of the lock are not good enough, so I have asked for some additional shots. Mark is looking at a couple at the Adam Partridge auction this week, too.
As for the Lee Enfield, I have made enquiries of the local constabulary for local clubs etc. I had no idea how involved getting an FAC was, with all the probation period on lesser calibres before being anywhere near heading towards shooting a LE. I am not even sure if any clubs in the area even shoot them.
You are right, I may soon get fed up with a deactivated version, but in the probation interim period it may be a compromise and at least I would be able to take it off the rack and discuss with my mates.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 8:27am
Different worlds and different times. When I started out collecting Lee Enfields, they were cheap as chips. I bought just about every LE that I came across. At one time I think that I counted 63 LE rifles piled in the corner of the closet. I quickly learnt a lot from studying many examples. Many were mix and match from generations of post service use, but I got a good idea of wot goes where on which and what shouldn't. I dont need a nose cap and full wood to read the history from the markings on a rifle.

That was a lucky start for me and it is sad that you cant have the same fortuitous start to your collecting.

We will be only too happy to help you. But you need the knowledge to be able to identify these old war horses too. There is more than a hundred years of lineage and manufacturing. You need to start building a reference library for your particular interests. I have been collecting them for 35 years and still consider myself a student of the LE.

I cant stress this enough. Buy the books before you lay out the big bucks to buy the rifle.
Every serious collector that I know has a pile of money tied up in their library.
Not only do they have some interesting specimens, but they can also tell you all about them.

Buy Skennerton's bible and set aside time to read. When I got my copy, I could not put it down. i refer to it constantly and make notes in the margin.

Whether buying a rifle, a car, a stamp or a coin, you need to study first and soak up the knowledge. A one hundred dollar book can save you thousands and a lot of heart ache.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 1:01pm
Yes Knowledge is definitely power.
Sometimes a tiny detail can make a thousand dollar difference.
You might want to make a big sign & stick it up somewhere prominent, its the first rule of buying.

Buy the gun, not the story!

There was just a thread on a different site where someone "lucked into" a very rare (read expensive) L-E that the owner didn't know what it was exactly. It was a sight unseen online auction, just pictures, then start bidding. Several questioned the authenticity, based on minor inconsistencies,  but in an auction setting it gets hectic. When the item arrived & the buyer was hundreds of dollars in the hole, the doubters were proven correct it was a forgery, well done but utterly fake.
OuchConfusedShockedCry

Details, details, details! Just a bit more knowledge & he'd have caught the little discrepancies.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 2:42pm
Wow. And I thought Canadian gun laws were tough! Seems almost criminal that the country that invented Lee Enfield makes it extremely hard for it's citizens to own apart of their history.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic