Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speed kills...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed kills...
    Posted: January 11 2018 at 6:11pm
My buddies are mostly speed freaks. Magnums. One even uses a 338 Mag for deer. To each his own, I guess. I got caught up in that a decade ago and bought a .300 Win Mag. After reloading 180 Grand Slams with 80g of H1000 crono'ed at just around 2900 fps, I think it worked out to 3 or 4 bucks a round. Didn't kill deer any better than my 150 gr Sierra's with 42 hrs of 4895 going 2500 fps. My point is a Lee Enfield will never be an accurate 3000 fps weapon. But it will drop any game on the planet.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 8:39pm
You got that right!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 8:49pm
i rather like my 45 colts at roughly 650fps - accurate at range needed and the ding leaves a dent , about equal to the webley/enfield revolvers , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 9:05pm
I had read this a long time ago.
The Lee Enfield rifle chambered for the .303 British round,has killed more big game animals then any other rifle,past or present.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 9:26pm
On several continents and continues to do so.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 5:07am
..& it's "ruggedness & simplicity" will never let you down!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 6:26am
I reckoned if it would bring down a ME 109, it'd do me!   Wink

Never needed anything more.  
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 6:35am
Didn't the 303 British round take down the Red Baron???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 7:32am
Yes, but it was a Lewis gunner I think, Honks.

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 7:40am
& now they say it was the Aussies that did it from the ground
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 9:34am
Pukka, afew years ago I watched a Nova program on the shooting down of the Red Baron. All scientific and stuff. This show believes he was downed by a single round fired from a 303 British Calibre Lewis gun on the ground. And yes Hoadie, apparently it was an Australian MG crew. This was their findings. God save the King!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 11:13am
Hoadie and Tonks,

What you heard is what I heard as well.

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 11:51am
..That's cuz we listen with Canadian ears
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 7:38pm
did not the 303 aircraft machine guns save the skys of london durring the blitz , 

ok , now my head is hearing john belushi sayin "OVER ? was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor ?" ..........i gotta stop this its driving me nuts , hearing movie lines and hummin alice's restaurant is not how i wanted to finish my day , ill never get to sleep ,
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 7:51pm
What u bin smoking A Sq?
The RAF also fitted Spits with 20mm.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 7:57pm
no ceegars since it got cold , a couple brews but a really long tiring week and mind is wanting to divert from the stress i think , looking for pleasant thoughts , just dont need a nagging song or story line to get hung up in there really , 

but it beats rehashing the arguments of the week in the middle of the night pee break , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic