Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

problems misfiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mosesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: problems misfiring
    Posted: January 17 2018 at 12:21am
I have a P17 that I have had turned into a 450 ackley mag imp. i wish to use it in africa and want to work up loads. i am having firing issues. i have a timney trigger and a speed lock and cock on openeing
when I try to fire it it will fire 1 or 2 rounds then misfires. i believe it to be the firing pin is slowed down by the spring binding a little, because if i push on the firing pin with my thumb as i fire it fire ok. any ideas as to how to fix this problem. I have checked the firing pin length and is in spec. also the primers are being dented but no fire.
never too old to learn something new
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 5:39am
Moses,

No idea off the top of my head, but something it'd be nice to fix before you go to Africa with it.  :-)
Is headspace OK?...Did it do this with the standard trigger?  Cartridge length correct for chamber?

R.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 5:49am
I might suspect the usual suspect, oil and dirt. The fact that it is denting the primer suggests it's not broke. I have seen this before, but it was -40 during a moose hunt. Buddy missed an opportunity to harvest a bull. Model 760 Remember Pump (hate those guns). Found out he thought it was a good idea to oil the heck out of the whole action the night before.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 7:50am
Wolff spring set or just disassemble the bolt and clean the FP channel. I have found rust so thick the spring was bound up almost glued to the FP.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 10:09am
As Pukka said, probably better to get it in top form in the comfort of your home. I suspect pulling the bolt to investigate a misfire with teeth/claws/horns or hoofs speeding your way would be a little disconcerning!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 1:52pm
Tonks,

Had a Win M 70 misfire when awful cold. Borrowed rifle as it had a scope.   Scope didn't help when gun no workum.

That was 30-odd years ago when we first came here.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 2:05pm
Paddy has a lot of "mis-fires"..but they tend to be NEURON misfires!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 2:13pm
Forgot to mention. I had my brothers Winchester model 70 bolt in .308. For some reason, I soaked the bolt in solvent two days prior, let air dry, then put on graphite powder. I bagged the bull. My only big game animal. ( I consider white-tails medium.) Man, with moose or elk, the work definitely starts after you've pulled the trigger!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 2:16pm
I had a 'mis-fire" that cost me a big beautiful buck. I don't think anyone here believes me on it.
As I mentioned before..it was S & B ammo, in .303. (Bought it because it was "cheap"). When I shot @ the deer, it went "CLICK", I ejected & shot again & again - with other ammo. But the damage was done. When I picked up the ejected cartridge-it had no marks on the primer. I thought it was the rifle..until the next day, when the same thing happened. I sat & starred at that cartridge for hours. My rifle smashes the primer on all other brands.. gave the stuff away to a young guy @ moose camp..never happened to me again.(Then again I will not buy S & B ammo, either! Dang Commies!!)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Paddy has a lot of "mis-fires"..but they tend to be NEURON misfires!

At least I still have neurons to have misfires from.

I maybe old my hair is gray, but my pride wears a smile everyday.

Clean your Enfield well. Get rid of all the oil and gunk. A bit of rust can ruin your day.

I hunt with a bush gun that is SWP45 98k in 308 rebuilt by our Israel friends.

Each year I give it a good cleaning before I put it way.

A light coat of 10w oil and it works well.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 2:58pm
Absolutely! Cleaning! My buddies NEVER clean their rifles! I do it for them after the hunting season. To this day, even after time at the range, I'll will pull the bolt, clean and oil the bore. Always have a few "barrel warmers" (reloads that are a little out of spec) to feed the Enfield for the first few shots next time at the range. In the down months like winter, once a month I run an oiled patch thru. Maybe OCD?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 3:03pm
Sorry to piggy back my response. A rifle is mechanical, just like a car engine,or any other moving steel machinery. Rust, corrosion or the build up of dirt and oil is the enemy. Cleaning and re-lubing will ensure long life and dependability. Match the lube with the conditions expected. Do this, and Bob's your Uncle!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 3:14pm
..and Fannys yer Aunt!
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 3:20pm
Bob is your Uncle, wink, wink, nod, nod.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 3:28pm
... Say no more, say no more!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 6:52pm
huh - have not seen much of that lately my brother and son are fans 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic