Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you reconise these markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you reconise these markings
    Posted: March 04 2018 at 2:47am
Can any one help me with these markings on my Long Branch Mk1*. I have tried with no luck.
thank you for any help

Walla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 6:30pm
Bumped across this cool .pdf from the NRA Museum while looking for your proofmarks, and this cool page from our friends down in NZ.

No4MK2(F) 11/54 PF3292XX
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 12:37pm
My guess from a bit of research is that the PSF and what looks like crossed rifles are Italian proof marks.  The CB in the square would correspond with the style and proof code for the year 2007.  The deer head with bracketed with "G - T" may be a private stamp or a heraldic crest.  Of course just a guess.  You may wish to research the Lee Enfieds that were supplied by Canada to the Italian Nay after the war.  This included Longbranch #4's.  These went up for sale by Euroarms starting around 2006.  This would correspond nicely with the stamps as I would assume all would have to be proofed before sale to the civilian market.  Note it is not unusual for stamps to be incomplete so a little bit of deduction is needed.
polvere senza fumo is Italian for smokeless powder.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 8:09pm
no , that said unless its sported its a nice war issue 1943 mkI* longbranch 
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 7:06am
On closer look I believe the Crest actually has 3 letters G-V-T.  This would correspond nicely to the Italian national proof house in Gardone Val Trompia.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 8:25am
Perhaps it was imported into Italy & reproofed?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Perhaps it was imported into Italy & reproofed?

Check my post above.  Canada gave boxes of LE's to the Italians after WWII.  I had thought all went to Navy but some probably went elsewhere.

http://www.euroarms.net/EFD/introduction.htm
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 1:22pm
I hadn't thought of a military import followed by a civvy sale, that would explain the dates.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
birddog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 9:20am
thank for the help folks. I follow this up and let you know what I come up with.
thanks
birddog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 9:45am
I think you have hit the nail on the head I just found this

HOW DO I READ THE PROOF MARKS ON MY ITALIAN MADE GUN?
In the first photo : capital letters in a box signify the year your gun was manufactured, the last two star-PN and star-shield marks are standard proof marks for any gun made in Italy since 1951.

thank you
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 6:50am
Originally posted by birddog birddog wrote:

I think you have hit the nail on the head I just found this

HOW DO I READ THE PROOF MARKS ON MY ITALIAN MADE GUN?
In the first photo : capital letters in a box signify the year your gun was manufactured, the last two star-PN and star-shield marks are standard proof marks for any gun made in Italy since 1951.

thank you

Actually the letters in the box are when the firearm was proofed.  Military firearms shipped to Italy and eventually surplussed to the public were proofed by the Italians when surplussed  not when they were made.   Canada does not have a proof testing requirement and unless supplied to British forces did not proof LE's that were used by the Canadian forces.  If your Enfield does not have the standard British proof mark it is another clue that it was one of the ones supplied by Canada.

KB_TheDireWolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB_TheDireWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 8:31pm
Sorry, I know this is old, but I found it during a google search.

Your a lucky dog like me! This is a rifle from the Italian Navy. They have kept a cache of rifles that was given to them as surplus from Canada. A high ranking officer saved them from destruction and they've been selling on the public market for the past few years now. 
G Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Walla Walla wrote:

Bumped across this cool .pdf from the NRA Museum while looking for your proofmarks, and this cool page from our friends down in NZ.

Cool links.  Both still seem to be working.
AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 11:51am
FYI: Top NRA link worked great.  The NZ link was dead for me as of Jan 6 2021.

"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" - Tacitus
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 1:11pm
removed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic