Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Santa Fe Supreme No4 scope mount part 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Santa Fe Supreme No4 scope mount part 2
    Posted: May 12 2018 at 9:24pm
Oldhand entrusted me with his rifle today. The mount I made for his rifle and then sent to him via USPS,arrived with a screw hole still off a tad and the bottom part protruding over the ejector screw. I met him today halfway between Phoenix and Tucson to take his rifle home with me so I could make this all come to fruition. It did. I also took it upon myself to replace the No1 MkIII cocking piece with a new, unissued No4 cocking piece and matching striker. Smoothed out the trigger and sear assembly,cleaned and polished the bolt assembly,blueing where needed. Cleaned all the old blueing off, repolished the entire barrel and receiver and then re blued it. Recrowned the barrel along the way. Did not intensionally mean to do all that,it just happened.
My Faux Parker Hale Custom No4 is on top, Oldhands​ Santa Fe Supreme No4 is on the bottom...

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 7:55am
Very nice job! Gorgeous rifles there!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 8:07am
Both very nice examples! I'm a sucker for the front site hoop guard! You know, the one you always lost after pushing bush!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 8:13am
Oldhands rifle does not have that option. There's no groove in the ramp to accommodate a hood...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 8:57am
Wow! That crown is DEEP!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 12:02pm
It does in fact look deep. It's the angle of the picture taken. I went just far enough to remove the wore out end of the barrel without trimming the end of the barrel itself. The angle and depth of the crown acts as a tiny muzzle brake, directing the spent gasses outwards in a consistent rate to keep the recoil in a horizontal pattern without the barrel lift...
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 3:12pm
The work Goosic did was far and above what I expected. I went in expecting just a scope mount, he completely tuned and went thru the entire rifle. I highly recommend his work to all that require a mount our just need their rifle tuned.
Retired USAF, NRA life member
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 3:41pm
Yup. Gases gotta come out equal or no accuracy! 20 years ago I had know idea what crowning meant. My buddies still don't. Nice job!
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 7:58am
Very nice work!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 8:02am
Thank you...
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 3:21pm
Ok, I finally got to the range. My rifle loves the Hornady Interlock 150 grain over 40.7 grains of 3031. This target at 50 yards 4 shot sight in.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 3:26pm
Nice little group you have there.
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 3:28pm
Picture went in sideways, holes were on top not side. The covered holes are from the time the mount came loose. But wasn't bad for loose mount. The 100 yard taret had final shots in the red but target was also on after me by the person with me so I will have to do another.
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 3:31pm
Hi Goosic, my reloads shot into three inches while the PPU 180 grain shot into six inch group. Next time I will bring a rest.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 4:52pm
I saw that the picture was askew. Good to know the mount is still working for you.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 4:55pm
In the voice of Doug Marcaida from Forged in Fire.

This weapon will keel...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic