Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

i have a complaint , not here - elsewhere

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i have a complaint , not here - elsewhere
    Posted: June 10 2018 at 8:01pm
its local - as many know here i shoot SASS - cowboy action , there is a local club i have been a member of since its inception at-del-tone-luth gun club when Aaron stars started it , a lot of years ago , i was a charter member back then - one of three that signed on from the gunclub right up front , a small group that believed in what we were doing and what was being done - we ran the matches for a number of years till the range got caught up in the frenzie to close public ranges that eventually failed , but ....

the range lost its ability to throw shoots that involved moving between shooting positions so the SASS club moved south 20 miles to a less pressured club , a private one , a new group of folks took over management , i went with them and was on the original board , they were in need of targets as they lost access to the vast supply the previous club offered , there was a board meeting when the suggestion was thrown out to have a lifetime membership offered to those that would pay -up front- for the cash infusion needed to purchase these targets , i was the first on board and wrote the $2500 check to get that going , i have no idea who else might have jumped in , as i lost my job a few months later and was unable to fund shooting for few years till i got back on my feet , 

little did i know ive apparently died ................

i went to a monthly match yesterday and was told they were no longer honoring these "life time" memberships , i had to pay $40 to reup my membership - which includes the rod & gun club [that i will use as they shoot trap and have a rifle range i will use] plus the monthly match fee [i have no issue with the monthly match fee at all] but im wishing i had gotten incensed enough to blow up over the membership - i wanted to shoot and i was just getting the lay of the land back in perspective - my bad , good guys always finish last [truth be known - if they had asked for a contribution id have gladly written the $50 check - which i did] but we got rain , yes im a fAIR WEATHER SHOOTER AND I LEFT , 

after reflection , it will be the last dollar of mine that goes there , i will find a new home club , there are too many great folks out there that i have shot with to abandon the sport but ill go to their clubs and support them with my money , 

i know this got long and im sorry but i had to type it out to see what it looked like before proceeding to the correct venue , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2018 at 6:34am

That stinks.

I used to be in a club where they did something similar & after opposing the idea vigorously at several meetings it was approved anyway so I left.

The club later became famous for the board (who were always re-elected unopposed even though many said they voted against them, or for someone else) doing whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted, no matter how the members voted.,

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2018 at 11:03am
The fact that they do not honor the life membership is really bad. Are these club's affiliated to the NRA? Could you make a complaint to them?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2018 at 11:54am
Here in the  U.S. its a waste of time. Maybe the NRA of GB is better though.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2018 at 12:53pm
I agree that stinks.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2018 at 6:01pm
so - after thinking on it for a while ive decided i dont care for that crowd enough to spend any more time or money there , ive been criticized for expecting them to honor it , suggested i was starting trouble where it neednt be , maybe i did , 

i can walk away - it will not color my thinking on the rest of the sport - its some individuals that apparently feel no need for conscience , so be it - they consider me dead ill just pass-away from their club , 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2018 at 6:44pm
In my eyes you are the better person for your decision. I would have done the same. Their loss.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 6:06am
Sorry to hear of your troubles A Square.

You did the right thing in walking away.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 11:58am
It's obviously frustrating having to deal with such numpties. Sometimes it's better to ride off into the sunset and keep your principal's in tact. 
You are lucky that you probably have more choice of shooting club's in the USA than here in Europe; so take your time and find a better one.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 10:23pm
im heading off to south/north dakota state shoot this weekend - they will welcome me and ill enjoy it a lot , there are cso many places to shoot ive not been yet , ill do those and enjoy myself , 

life is too short , 

i was thinking back then , when forced to retire early , that my life memberships in SASS , NRA and that club would secure my shooting opportunities on limited income for the rest of my life , i am no longer retired and i can afford to travel to shoot for the next few years so i will , i have no regrets here , i learned a good lesson in later life , my goal every day is to learn something new - hopefully something good , but you gotta take the good with the bad , 

ill be shooting the wisconsin shoot again in august , there are other clubs in MN that offer better opportunities as well , there are good folks shooting this and ive got good friends all over these three states - i may seek out iowa and nebraska next year , i no longer shoot with youngsters as they have all grown up now so iowa might be more hospitable - they used to prohibit the kids from handling revolvers which shut them out of those shoots , 

in the end they might have done me a favor in a backhanded way , it has opened my eyes to the other options i have , and when i finally retire ill just limit things to the few i can travel to that i really like , i will camp and enjoy the company of those i enjoy , life is good ...........
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 4:02am
Thumbs Up
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 7:30am
A Square.
Do you ever get out to the Ben Avery shooting range here in Phoenix for the SASS?
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 7:39pm
Goosic , ive not yet - i may in the future , if i do i will contact you , heck - if i ever get to AZ ill contact you , i have rellies there but we are not close , i also have my part time employer there that im as close with as them - he owns the range i work at on weekends , if i told him i was coming to a shoot i think he might be more inviting , we shall see if one day i get there - but if i do i would love to meet you in person , 
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 2:20pm
I think probably that you've decided that you really don't want to be a member of any club that would have you as a member (to quote Groucho Marx) anyway. But if you have some sort of paperwork, perhaps minutes of the meeting in question or something where your life membership was agreed, then I would think that there is a legal redress here. They have taken away something from you that has a monetary value, that being the cost of annual membership and as such, you may well be entitled to the cost of that membership annually until you die. Even if you don't want to go down that route, a letter from a lawyer stating there is an intention to sue would, I think put the cat among the pigeons and perhaps offer you some satisfaction. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic