Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield No.4 MK I Accuracy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield No.4 MK I Accuracy
    Posted: September 17 2018 at 6:17am
Ray, with your reloading experiences, you are a long way ahead of many of us!

Good on you for getting down to it and doing a thorough job.
As for the scope, it makes perfect sense!
I couldn't shoot well for some time, as I needed lenses replaced, and could see three of everything, even with a scope. Now it's pretty good again.
BTW, some of my brass came out lop-sided, so I was encouraged to turn and re-seat it in the die when full-length sizing, and it seems to work.

Keep us posted on your results,

Richard.

RayR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 10:23pm
I have fire formed Privi Partizan and Remington brass readily available. They are boxer primed and the Remingtons are recommended in the booklet "The Accurate Lee Enfield" by Stephen Redgwell on page 49, "Over the years, despite different production runs, the Remingtons have resisted cracking, stretching and separation better than the other two." the other two referenced were Federal and Winchester. He recommends "neck sizing only" when reforming the case and doesn't address neck turning at all.

I'm neck turning for two reasons:

1) It works for benchrest shooters and may help with the .303 British. I read an article on the web from a shooter who used to shoot his Enfield in competition and he highly recommended neck turning because it assures generating a uniform tension on the bullet after seating and makes the alignment of the bullet and the barrel more consistent. I was not smart enough to save that article and have not been able to re-locate it.
****  I have noticed that a lot of my brass was not square with the base. When I put some in my LEE Zip Trim to set the case length, some of the necks of the brass wobbled instead of staying on a fixed axis while the case turned. I will separate the wobblers from those that spin true and see if they demonstrate different shooting precision. I suspect the wobblers won't due to their lack of concentricity. It may also be that they are fine and once the bolt is locked down any lack of square-ness between the bolt head and the base won't make much difference.

2) It offers me some experience using the neck turning equipment on a benchrest rifle I plan to get next year.

I was actually considering getting one of the new centerfire LA102 Lithgow rifles from Australia. They are available in .223, .243, and 308. They also make the Rimfire LA101 series in .22LR and one or two other rimfire calibers.

It looks like I'll end up with the Savage 110 Desert Tactical in .308 and get a barrel for it in 6BR. Savages' interchangeable barrels have a simple setup for establishing the right setback for the ammunition and chambering being used. That offers a lot of flexibility for the rifle. I can eventually get .20 BR, .22 BR, 6mm BR, 6.5mm BR and 30BR. That should keep me happy, broke and making ammo for a long time.
Semper Fi
RayR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 9:43pm
I've always been impressed with what some people can do using iron sights, but I'm not one of them. 
I'm 72, have needed glasses since the 5th grade and had a terrible time using the tangent sights that were common on WW I rifles like the Enfield SMLE #3. When I was in the service I did fine with the peep sights on the M-14 and .30 Garand. Unfortunately, due to age and a repaired macular hole of the retina in my right eye I found that I had to go to optical sights. I tried using a reddot sight that I use on my bullseye pistols and it worked well for me out to about 50 yards. The sight is fine but at 100 yards I can hardly see the target so the reddot sight didn't help much.

When I saw how well I could shoot using a custom benchrest rifle with a 36X scope, I knew the optical sight was what I needed at 100 yards and beyond.

I started with a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 which works very well and is very clear. I then went for more magnification at a price I could afford and bought a demo Bushnell 4500 Elite with 8-32x40 with an adjustable front optic. These both used a thin cross hair reticule. The higher power of the Bushnell requires a more precise alignment of my eye with the image from the scope and takes longer to get sighted on the target, but the improvement in my shooting was very noticeable.

It may be of interest to know that the scarring from repair of the macular hole in my right eye causes the horizontal crosshair of the reticle just to the immediate left of the vertical/horizontal intersection of the crosshairs to make an apparent downward arc about 30 times the width of the cross hair. It is very obvious and took me a little bit of time to get to where I can ignore it while focusing on the intersection of those cross hairs. 
Semper Fi
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 9:10am
Same rifle after five at 100y, these are not target rifles. The 3X9X50 30MM tube was just an exercise to use one of the IWS brackets I had collecting dust .

When the winter doldrums set in a boys mind wanders through the bins for relief.

The second 1942 Savage got the same treatment with the Leupold M3LR.

Then there was the really to much Leatherwood ART.

I will slink off to my hide now at the base of my hometown volcano to soak in one of the pools of hot water to ease these old bones.

........................Embarrassed...................

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 8:03am
Although admittedly both clones, my No4 Mk2 full wood and my recent purchase of the L39A1 both sport 1.5x4x Leupold straight tube scopes. I realize there was the option of the repo Mk32 scopes/mounts, but I went this way in my humble tribute to the sniper type Enfields.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 7:15am
I can always back off on the power! IN fact with the ART 2 I have to!
Star

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 6:24am

Two of my bits of kit..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 6:11am
How much it too much MJ?
When we get trouble with mirage or heat haze I'd say, Aaaand,...
 At some point, it's near impossible to hold the rifle steady due to breathing being magnified.....

With the kit you show above, (Nice kit!) such problems (normally) are much reduced. 
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 6:48pm
Pardon me..Wacko I thought the question was how much is to much.

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 6:07pm
The scope on MJ11's rifle I cannot say. Mine is a 3-9x50 variable MilDot...
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 1:50pm
What sort of scope is that?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 11:59am
To me MJ and all, 100 yards is for open sights.  200 is as well. Mind, we shoot 700 with open sights with the Martini and Snider.
I thought my old 4 x was plenty for 'scope stuff,  LOL!
Aren't large scopes bad in hot weather?  my son's binoculars go bad when we have heat haze /mirage.
I'll jus' go and put me tin hat on........................     :-)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 8:46am
I got this one MJ11
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 8:42am
............Confused..........

How much is overkill ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 6:38am
I'd never thought of neck turning brass for a .303, Ray.  
Chambers are real generous on these.

That scope sounds like overkill for such a short range!  :-)

Let us know how you go on with load developement,

R.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 10:24pm
Umm I think you are over thinking this.

Shoot neck size shoot again. At four reloads full size and trim.

Don't waste time on Remington brass and into the crapper.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic