Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield rifle and a non-Enfield rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield rifle and a non-Enfield rifle
    Posted: September 15 2018 at 6:17pm
I, purchased my very first brand new rifle today. More specifically, a Weatherby Vanguard in .243 Win.,along with a caliber specific scope. I took my Custom No4 out and ran a comparison test. The Enfield will hold its own against the Weatherby. I am definitely not patting myself on the back for making an exemplary Sporterised Enfield. Mainly because I can't reach like that. Look at the 74 year old rifle next to the brand new one...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 6:49pm
congrats - i know nothing of these but i have a weatherby shotgun that served me well in three gun , reminds me i need to take the optic off that and take it out to shoot , it makes a great backup for sporting clays when its not set up for open class , enjoy your rifle - let us know how it goes , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 7:23am
I actually prefer yours!
Hows the Weatherby action compared to the L-E?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 7:53am
The action on the Weatherby has a very smooth action. More so then the average Enfield. It definitely surprised me as to how,"fluid" the action is. I like the Enfield better however...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 7:58am
Goosic. What wood is on the Weatherby?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 8:05am
Walnut
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 8:32am
Not sure what the wood is on the Enfield, but I would give my wife's left arm for it!!!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 9:08am
Grade #AAA fancy Claro Walnut with fiddleback...
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 6:11am
Back when I worked at a gun shop, a customer brought in a new Wetherby he had sighted in on bench and the stock cracked. We sent it to Wetherby and they refused warranty repair. They said their rifles are ment to be shot from the shoulder. Just a heads up.
Retired USAF, NRA life member
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 6:33am
I am taking the stock off it and replacing it with a thumbhole variant. I am going to keep the original stock wrapped up and stored away for future use as a backup when I crack the thumbhole ...
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 9:03am
Yeah - I like your enfield over the Weatherby...
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 6:12am
Both are good looking rifles in my book. Goosics Enfield has more pizzazz.
Retired USAF, NRA life member
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 8:42am
Nice Weatherby. A little over my head and pay grade.

I only have one guest rifle and it's wrapped in plastic. I had thought about a nice laminated stock but the mission statement was for an off the shelf  without changing anything 7.62X51 that would share munitions with at least three other rifles to make life simple. This was well before my new eyes installed so it would be scoped and zeroed for 500 yards on 12"X16"X1" steel. The last requirement was it had to come in well under $1K. So it had to be and older Savage 110 and it made the cut at $705 completed.

It hit almost all the marks out of the box. At the time we had steel at 500 yards 130 feet above the flat on a hill at our local range.

It never fails to bring a smile when someone tags those plates first shot.

Doesn't do too bad at other ranges. 200Y on air rifle targets.

My own first go at 100Y.

For the first few years I was repeatedly told by everyone on the earth it seemed, "That it had a horrid trigger a weak flexing plastic stock, would not hold zero with ARM hardware, was too heavy and the scope was no good." they were all mostly right.

But for over twenty years now several dozen women and at least fifty 4H kids and so many new shooters I can't put a number to have has their first go at any target past fifty yards that I still call money well spent. Just for the number of smiles it has received I'm  rich man.

I still would not want to carry it far on these old legs unless I had a pack animal in service.

One more think, I love to hear the snickering from the Remchester crowd and snarky rumblings when I un-case it at the range.

Cheers

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 9:02am
MJ11 Wrote:
Nice Weatherby. A little over my head and pay grade.

That's the thing. On any other day of the week,I wouldn't have even gave it a second look. I was at my local Cabela's last week looking at the used rifles. They have a bunch of those straight pull rifles that have a cocking piece that looks like a key ring. Anyways,I went into the fancy gun enclosure and there,right in front of me was a Barrett Light 50,on sale for the low low price of $7990.95. I laughed a little at that,turned and then I saw it. The Weatherby. It was listed as,"Weatherby Vanguard .243 pre-owned,unfired complete with scope,scope mounts,and scope rings. $399.00". I have a Boyd's Custom Thumbhole showing up the end of the week for it now...
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 9:42am
...........Thumbs Up..........

Well done !
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 3:21pm
yes indeed - you got that one well . 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic